A/C Conversion, how much?

B

Bill A McNeil

A/C Conversion, how much?

Hi guys,

In the midst of preparing to pull my motor, I removed the A/C compressor last night and released the remaining Frion gas from the condenser. I got thinking about possibly having to convert to the new system now as a result. I know a few here have done it, so please let me know what cost is involved and if you can recommend anywhere good in the city.

Thanks,

Re: A/C Conversion...

Bill,

I've been led to believe that there is in fact a new refridgerant available which doesn't require any modifications to your system regardless of which old refridgerant your system was originally designed to use (i.e. it works with either R-134A or the older type).

Does anyone know anything particular about this???

Regards,

Sean

P.S. I thought you had decided against pulling that motor right now??? What's up?

yes they is a new refridgerant available it's call duracool that is the one i have seen the price is good on the stuff all you need to do is put it in no modifications at all and with this stuff you need less of it then R12
the web site for them is www.duracool.com

one place i know that has it is gasket city in Hamilton the web site for them is www.gasketcity.com i have talked to them before about duracool and it's not something new it's been out for i would say 2 years i have seen other place around the city with it to.

jason

Thanks for the update guys, I have never heard of this stuff.

Anywhere in Toronto you've heard carries it?

Thanks,

i know car quest in Richmond Hill does i know that so i guess some other ones might have it to
jason

Seeing as I have to recharge my system this may be the way to go. I wonder who around the GTA would actually install the stuff.

oh i for got to tell you one thing about the stuff you can do it your self

The only problem I have with that is after mine being low on freon due to slow slow leaks over the years I would want to change the seals on the connections and when you do that it has to have a good vacuum drawn on it to get rid of any moisture. However this sounds and reads like good stuff to use even if I get a refirdgeration guy to vacuum the system down.

Les is right I have taken many courses on ac's and i'll tell ya you have got to be careful what you put in your ac systems gentlemen i've never head of this stuff and i know there is perfectly legal stuff out there that will ruin your ac's.If it were me get on the blower and ask 3 or 4 different lagit ac places out there about this stuff and see what you come up with. Personnally i trust mississauga rad myself. The guys name is Gab. If you call him ,tell him Greg clarke from Newtown Autobody sent you.

Thanks Greg. I'll look into that once the weather gets nice, I drained most of the refrigerant that was in the condenser without realizing that I didn't need to in order to move the compressor out of teh way for the motor pull.

Whoops!

Well duuuhhhhhhhhhhhh next time ask me and you wouldn't have lost all your freon...lol.

Billy, Billy, Billy...

Just ask, buddy!

Right now, my car is a knock sensor harness, motor mount bolts and bellhousing bolts away from being able to pull it, and my A/C system is still full of freon.

Sean

Bill, there are kits available made by Everco and other cooling system products company that allow you to switch a car set up for R-12 over to the R-134a used in the newer cars. The kit has adapters that go on to your charge port connectors, and some new o-rings, and a bottle of refrigerant oil for the system that is compatible with R-134a. They sell for about $75.00 from the jobbers. We did a few cars this way at the dealership last summer, mostly because of the extremely high price of buying what's left of the R-12 out there. Seemed to work out well, we didn't encounter any problems later with the vehicles that were converted.

cheers
Ed N.

That is exactly the way my'n is done ED and she is fine. The preasure was too high at first and I had to put in a low preasure liquid line because the orfice tube alone is not changable in these cars.For best results the system should be flushed out a good 2 times in these cars,and one hell of a good vacume on the system.I found when I used to charge the fords they were one of the most diffacult systems to get working properly,high preasure side to low and the low preasure side to high,this means a plug usually the orfice tube. And this was just drainned and filled immediatly not sitting around empty for more than 20 ,in.Just a siggestion use tinfoil and wrap around open connections,seals well.Even if you reconnect the joints there is no preasure in the sytem to keep an air tight seal on those spring connections.Trust me and change all the o-rings while you can.

Back