ABS pump motor

gbabione

I am in need of an ABS pump motor for a 91 SC. I think pump is good, but a whole pump assembly works too.

I can see the brushes, but I don't know how to get to them. They look good. Feels like a lot of crap in motor. Where is the scree?

Screen is inside the main block...you can see it (and the drive key) when the motor is removed:
1667569342902.png

The end that comes off is captured in 2 places. Gently remove the black plastic cover, then gently bend the the tab outward on both until the cap comes free. You will need to bend them back when reassembling.

Just because the brushes look ok, doesn't mean they will still make good contact with the armature. Brushes grow shorter over the years, and their springs at some point are longer and relaxed/weaker. Less pressure on the brush against the armature (which has a reduced diameter from wear as well), means the pump at some point won't be strong enough to do it's job until the brushes are new/longer.

With new full length brushes, I would lightly burnish the armature so that when run-in, the brushes will seat properly and put down a new layer of material on the armature. 5 mins no load should be enough. I would do a run-in on the bench first, then you can put the pump motor back in, etc. and the whole unit back into service.

I've got those two pieces off. I can't get the next piece out that the brushes are attached to. As soon as I can get that out, I'll be able to stone the commutator, inspect the brushes and magnets.

See this thread, specifically comment #31.

I seem to recall that at some point you may need to unsolder the two wires,

I like that, bang on something. I'd be afraid of breaking something like a magnet if they're still good. I saw a picture of one tore apart. It looks like a cup. I'm going to try to let WD-40 seep in around it. My next option is convert to non-abs.

I am in need of an ABS pump motor for a 91 SC. I think pump is good, but a whole pump assembly works too.

I've got a NOS complete unit motor and pump. See this thread for pictures and price.

Back