And the fun ends abruptly....

onequiksc

What does it mean that the MC doesn't work? Motor doesn't run?

Did you test for power at the motor connector? Fuses good?

They just swapped it in and bled the system, so I don't think they did any diagnostics, but I will ask the head tech some of those questions tomorrow...

He knows the system and I will see if he can tell me about the pump motor...

kamakazie_1

Damn... what didn't work Dan, the motor?? I'll see what I can do tonight when the sun goes down a little, it's like 106 out there..

RJ

onequiksc

RJ, what does your weekend look like? I can bring a battery down there and throw it in the car....no need to go sweat your a$$ off...just let me know what a good time would be either Sat or Sun, afternoon would be best for me.

I will find out what I can tomorrow Angelo...

1994blkbirdsc

RJ, what does your weekend look like? I can bring a battery down there and throw it in the car....no need to go sweat your a$$ off...just let me know what a good time would be either Sat or Sun, afternoon would be best for me.

Dan please do so, as you seem the unit was ultra clean, been rebuilt by somebody, and not even cleaned by me, just dedusted.

I sold 1 to Steve above with no issues at all.

I am very concerned and upset you had issues, maybe its a relay, fuse, something.
I cannot imagine a working unit going bad from sitting :confused:

If that was the case any rebuilt unit sitting on the shelf would go bad :confused:
Unless its the JINX of the SC :mad:

kamakazie_1

Brother I'm all about you getting Black-Chrome back on the road, I will make myself available whenever your schedule works.. According to weather Sun afternoon might not be the best time because our rain chances go back up to like 50%...

Either way you want to do it, just let me know..

RJ

onequiksc

Angelo, you never mentioned it was rebuilt before...what exactly was rebuilt, the pump motor or the whole unit etc.?

Has anyone heard from Eddie lately? I would like to find a source to rebuilt these pump motors, God knows I have a few to rebuild...

Going to pick the car up in an hour, will report back.

Edit: I spoke with Dean the master tech, who told me another guy installed the part and although he was a "good tech", he didn't "understand how the system works", and Dean asked me if I could leave it another couple days till he can look at it and diagnosis what is and isn't happening. He said he thinks the pump motor may be frozen.

Anyway, Dean he said he wasn't satisfied with "does not work", which were the words from the installer tech and what Kenny was told. Can't disagree.

Patience required once again...

Last edited:

S_Mazza

Dan please do so, as you seem the unit was ultra clean, been rebuilt by somebody, and not even cleaned by me, just dedusted.

I sold 1 to Steve above with no issues at all.

I am very concerned and upset you had issues, maybe its a relay, fuse, something.
I cannot imagine a working unit going bad from sitting :confused:

If that was the case any rebuilt unit sitting on the shelf would go bad :confused:
Unless its the JINX of the SC :mad:

It's true, the one I got from Angelo works fine.

I did clean out the brake fluid that was in it when I got it. The stuff that was actually in the pump didn't look too good after sitting a while.

I think it is possible for a small part within the pump to get stuck from corrosion if it sits exposed to the elements, but if there was fluid in it, I don't think it would.

What could happen is that the pump could be airlocked. I was reading about a similar situation on this board recently. In that case, the motor runs, but fluid never moves. There are certain steps that seem to work in clearing up that situation, but let's make sure of what is happening first.

There are a number of places that will rebuild the pump motors. If you can't find the info by searching this board, I can send you a link or two. Board member "the-big-e" had his local motor shop rebuild them and kept a few in stock, but he hasn't been seen on here in several months.

kamakazie_1

Hey Dan, I was going to tell you that if you come to the house bring me one of the motors, I've got an awesome motor shop here in TVille that I've had do several other things for me, I'd like to take one to him and see if he could do it and what it would cost.. This shop even re-builds armatures..

It wouldn't cost anything for him to tell us if he could do them..

RJ

onequiksc

Thanks S Mazza , good info and I'll pass it along...

RJ, Definitely, Bryan & I have been discussing that very topic, he knows a shop that he wants to ask too, but I will bring one down or get 1 to you ASAP, it's absolutely worth asking...we're all going to be SOL eventually without a couple reputable skilled rebuilders out there, and Eddie is currently M.I.A. so we can't ask him about his guy...

TTYS

1994blkbirdsc

Dan that's why I asked what the tech said, does not work just does not sound right ?

The 2 units I sold had been rebuild by somebody, I have never seen such clean ABS units in any of the many cars I have pulled them out of.

Hell the 1 in my 92 is no where near as clean as the ones I sold.

None the less keep me posted. RJ has another at his house so no worries.
Angelo

onequiksc

Angelo, I really hope he can get to some diagnostics before the weekend, but given their track record, not such great odds that will happen, still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

FWIW, your unit was decently clean, but not much different than my original or the unit I pulled from my parts car ( the one that just went bad in mine) a few years ago which was actually cleaner than yours, not that it matters, what they look like on the outside has little to do with them working or not.

I just spent a couple hours today reading the 'ABS to Conventional brake' swap thread, so I am preparing myself for just throwing in the towel on this system if worse comes to worse (and it's heading in that direction!) :)

1994blkbirdsc

I understand. Steve above mentioned something very interesting.
I am beginning to think maybe I messed up by removing the hose to drain the fluid for transport and leaving it off :confused:

I really feel bad you are having problems. Maybe the Master tech can figure out whats going on here.
Angelo.

onequiksc

Just an update; still waiting for Dean to get a chance to look at the problem, "a couple days" is code for "about 2 weeks"...

onequiksc

Stopped by just now and I'm getting the car back today, Dean said the pump is dead...applied power to it directly and no luck even rapping on it...

They put my old intermittent unit back in, if for no other reason than to maybe have brakes to take it home.

Angelo,..I've got yours in the trunk, and will get it back to you or give it to RJ if you prefer...

I will PM you later, Thx

kamakazie_1

Dan you want to come down and test this one in the 01 parts car?? if you come this way remember to bring one of the motors and I'll take it to this guy here in TVille to see if he can rebuild them..

RJ

onequiksc

I may RJ...will let you know at the end of the week...I may just want Angelo to refund my $$$ because I paid for a working unit and if i have to have something rebuilt i'd want to use that money to do it.

The tech Dean said Lenz Electric motor in Daytona should be able to rebuild them too, but I haven't called them so I don't know if that's true...

Also, after starting it up to drive home...I now have a 'check engine' light on and I was there when he plugged a code reader in and he came up blank, he said the reader wasn't working...

Every time the car goes up there it comes back worse off..