Another overheating thread...

Plat0ribs

So it starts the same...

1992 SC, 5-speed, OE assembly, nothing special just stock, 101K miles well maintained and cared for. Bought at ~90K miles and drove until the HG's blew...
New, new, new...
-HG's. (MLS, coolent verified exhaust free) 2 years ago!
-Water pump. one month ago!
-ETC, 2 pin temp relay for the EEC/IRCM. 2 weeks ago!
-Radiator. last weekend!
-Thermostat, verified in boiling water w/thermocouple. last night.
-Three different IRCM's each verified as functioning on an 89 SC

Temp indicator rises to where the thermostat opens, you can see it stall there for about 30 seconds to a minute, then it begins climbing and will climb until it over heats, low speed fan won't come on unless comanded by AC, which I've used when driving it around to try to get it diagnosed.

I've swapped out the IRCM's and am currently running around in my 89 SC without overheating problems with the OE IRCM from the 92.

I suppose I should swap out the fan motor just because that's all that's left.

Will report back later.

Chris;)

That's the way my car acts when it has air in the system. If you don't have one go buy a pressure release cap with the red lever on it and Burp it after bringing it up to temp a few times. Let it cool down all the way remove the cap fill the radiator completely full and keep Burlington it every time you drive it for a while

So it starts the same...

low speed fan won't come on unless comanded by AC, which I've used when driving it around to try to get it diagnosed.

I suppose I should swap out the fan motor just because that's all that's left.

Will report back later.

Chris;)
If the fan runs, the motor is good, the IRCM is good. Next step... swap out the computer. Its the only thing left.

If the fan runs, the motor is good, the IRCM is good. Next step... swap out the computer. Its the only thing left.

This is what I'm thinking, nothing left.

I'll swap an EEC and check back later. Bastard covered bastard with a bastard filling.
:confused:

Last edited:
This is what I'm thinking, nothing left.

I'll swap an EEC and check back later. Bastard covered bastard with a bastard filling.
:confused:

My fans won't come on unless the ac is on either and it overheated very quickly once it gets past 190 when I got all the air out everything worked just as it should, car stays at 180. My heater not bieng on when the car wad refuted caused most of it. The core was empty. When I turned it on it over heated real fast lol

Last edited:
But was the system opened recently, before the problem happened?

Looks like he replaced the HG and drove it around for 2 years and is now having the problem.

^ this...

HG's 2 years ago, recent water pump replacement due to coolant leak from weep hole. After water pump R&R overheating problems ensued. ;)

Have release raditor cap, use it. Have OE Motorcraft thermostat with jiggle valve for SHO & SC application. Get it out on the highway and open it up and it controls temp fine, without fan I presume, haven't checked that...

Are EEC's year specific or can you use a 91 EEC in a 92 car, 89 in a 92, what years were compatible?

Last edited:
^ this...

HG's 2 years ago, recent water pump replacement due to coolant leak from weep hole. After water pump R&R overheating problems ensued. ;)

So, the system was opened and closed back up and the overheating has occurred.

There is air in the system.

OK will burp, I'd sure rather it need to be burped than need a new EEC or any other crap....

You think it would remain trapped over an 800 mile trip down state over a long weekend?

OK will burp, I'd sure rather it need to be burped than need a new EEC or any other crap....

You think it would remain trapped over an 800 mile trip down state over a long weekend?

Mine took over 2 weeks to get all the air out. I could moniter the temp with be so I saw how it was climbing. As much as it sucks leave your heat on every time you see it climb to norm Burp the cap and drive it some more

Took a good +/-500 miles over various trips to settle down when I did my water pump recently.

Resist the urge to remove the cap and take a look - as long as the tube to the overflow tank isn't blocked, the cap is 16# and in good shape and there is no drama otherwise, just sit on your hands and be patient :)

Good luck.

Well I drove it down to St. Louis from Chicago over Father's day immediately after the water pump install, I burped it after the trip down, topped it off and checked it throughout the weekend. kept burping it and topping it off. then drove it home... Father's day! Continued to drive it but while commuting It was over heating, unlike while on the highway where it had maintained, for the most part, temp still a little over where it should indicate but not running away. Pretty much since then, while commuting it has been running hot. I was certain I had eliminated any trapped air. Then I just swapped out the radiator/ETC/Thermostat over the past 8-9 days. Fans misbehaving for the past month or so... .

?

Well I drove it down to St. Louis from Chicago over Father's day immediately after the water pump install, I burped it after the trip down, topped it off and checked it throughout the weekend. kept burping it and topping it off. then drove it home... Father's day! Continued to drive it but while commuting It was over heating, unlike while on the highway where it had maintained, for the most part, temp still a little over where it should indicate but not running away. Pretty much since then, while commuting it has been running hot. I was certain I had eliminated any trapped air. Then I just swapped out the radiator/ETC/Thermostat over the past 8-9 days. Fans misbehaving for the past month or so... .

?
Any time you open the system back up you let air back in especially when replacing the radiator. I got all the air out of mine finally then one of the hoses to the oil cooler had a small leak. When I fixed it I had to start Burping and re filling it all over again until it stayed around 180 again I think I've just about got all the air out of mine again and the fans are back to cycling properly. I can tell because I can watch it when datalogging it rises up to 186 then comes back down to 180. When its got air it will get over that and won't come back down eventually getting above 220 deg I have to shut it down

Last edited:
Any time you open the system back up you let air back in especially when replacing the radiator. I got all the air out of mine finally then one of the hoses to the oil cooler had a small leak. When I fixed it I had to start Burlington and re filling it all over again until it stayed around 180 again I think I've just about got all the air out of mine again and the fans are back to cycling properly. I can tell because I can watch it when datalogging it rises up to 186 then comes back down to 180. When its got air it will get over that and won't come back down eventually getting above 220 ager I have to shut it down

You said "Burlington." huhu-huhuh

Lol this phone has I-dialect all its own:D

Is that an app on your I-phone?

Just got off the phone with the shop. the first thing they did was pull a vacuum on the coolent system and bleed the block at the bleed valve on the top.

If this car has trapped air it's due to an extrordinary effort on the part of an Inanimate object.

Last edited:
I can tell because I can watch it when datalogging it rises up to 186 then comes back down to 180. When its got air it will get over that and won't come back down eventually getting above 220 deg I have to shut it down
I'm wondering if your rad cap has a higher pressure rating. Mine is the stock 16psi and I don't have any burping issues. And I'm not all that precise about it. I just kinda fill up the rad, fill up the overflow to the H mark, run it, let it sit overnight, refill overflow to the L mark, and its done. I don't even bother with that filler tube cap.

Last edited:
Back