Anybody else notice this?

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Motorcraft has changed our oil filter size! Same PN, same model number, still works, but the newer one is taller! :eek: At least I assume it's the newer one....

I thought the box wasn't shaped just right (that's how I would always find the right filter, since I can't ever remember the number. :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 161

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Maybe it's so that you can still change the oil if your motor mounts are beyond "shot". :rolleyes:

I remember not being able to remove the filter several years ago because the motor mounts were so bad.

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
Yup got one a few weeks ago. The new one is shorter not taller.:rolleyes:
Kinda sucked cause the old filter wouldn't fit in the box.

rzimmerl

I think Motorcraft shortened all their filters across the board. The 820 that is our 500 and Explorer have both shrunk also. My guess has to due the cost of steel.

Ddubb

I stocked up on the last of the FL-400's a few months ago at the local auto store when I saw they went to a *NEW SIZE SAME PERFORMANCE* ... :cool:

I havent seen any shorter 820's yet .. but that might help make the oil change a bit easier on the 4.6 Tbird if they made them a little skinnier..

- Dan

Jimmy 2Coupes

SCCoA Member
I purchased two Motorcraft FL 400s filters about a month ago for my spring oil change on both of my SC's and when I actually got around to it a couple weeks ago I noticed the same thing. I went to Advanced Auto and bought two Purolator Pureone oil filters and used those on the SC's instead. I use the Motorcraft FL 400s filter on my wifes Jeep Liberty also so that's where the Motorcraft filters are going when the time comes.

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Hmm...maybe this was why I had trouble gripping the filter at my previous oil change. :rolleyes:

I thought my hand was just fatter. :eek: