AOD Issue

TBirdJKC

Hi guys,

I seem to have an odd issue develop on my AOD car. When braking hard or cornering it seems to fall into neutral. If I'm still rolling it will drop back into gear. It acts as though I threw it in neutral. If I'm back on the gas it will chirp the tires like a neutral drop (obviously I did not do this intentionally). If I'm coasting it just falls back into gear. No slipping at all ever. Trans feels very solid.

My first thought was low on trans fluid and it must be sloshing and sucking air. Dipstick shows dead on the full mark when hot. Fluid is slightly dark but smells good. I've only owned this one for about a month and this issue just popped up this week. My second thought was the filter fell off in the pan but, if I remember correctly its held on with a bolt? Its been a while since owning a non m5r2 car ;)

Any ideas before I drop the pan? The car has 82,000 and I doubt the trans has ever had any service done to it based on the condition of the rest of the car.

Have you looked under the hood to confirm the TV cable is still attached at the throttle body linkage?

I wouldn't drive it until I knew that cable was still attached and adjusted properly. The factory used a plastic bushing that tends to fail with age...even if it is still hanging on, I'd replace it w/brass.

Searching here should provide details on both the brass bushing and TV cable adjustment, but speak up if you need help, etc.

Hi guys,

I seem to have an odd issue develop on my AOD car. When braking hard or cornering it seems to fall into neutral.

My first thought was low on trans fluid and it must be sloshing and sucking air. Dipstick shows dead on the full mark when hot.

And you would be correct. I'd check it once more on level ground, engine running, and check that its to the upper edge of the hash mark. I know, but just in case... wipe the dipstick and then reinsert to check.

The filter has 3 bolts and its possible that the small square gasket between the filter and the intake port is missing if it was serviced.

As a tip, if you decide to drop the pan, the civilized way to remove the fluid is to siphon most of it out using clear plastic tubing. ;)

TV cable is in place. I replaced the bushing with a new ford parts bushing. Been there before. Toasted the OD band in less than two blocks.

Back