Cannonball record shattered!

Wow! That is nuts. Although in the western states, I imagine 100+ still feels boring! I didn't see a mention of what mileage they got in that article. I wonder what it was?

Having don a couple trips at and about XX+mph, you get used to the speed. Though after two 1000mile trips in the past 3weeks (both in just over 24hrs) I can imagine their exhaustion.

That Benz is a monster! My Porsche 928 wasn't happy until it was in triple digits. Designed for high speed driving and it was effortless and there was no stress from driving long hours at speed!

Autorotor 1.7 4.7L 928 at Texas Mile

Attachments

• IMG_0035-001.JPG
    IMG_0035-001.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
It is high time Obamma spends our tax dollars on something useful like an Autobahn from NY to California!
:cool:

Great idea! All they need to do is change the speed limit signs. People I've talked to from Germany say the Autobahn is just like our Interstate highway system, just much faster traffic.

Great idea! All they need to do is change the speed limit signs. People I've talked to from Germany say the Autobahn is just like our Interstate highway system, just much faster traffic.

The Autobahn is a moron-free zone, enforced by the police. Camping in the left lane will get you a hefty fine. Could we use that or what?:rolleyes::mad:

The condition of the Auto Vs the USA Interstates is not even comparable.

158mph on a public road he should have this butt in a sling.

Notice the GPS companies response and how they are trying to bow out. All the GM drivers with the OnStar.......They have used that system to record data on vehicles that were involved in wrecks and ticketed the drivers. The drivers did not have the OnStar activated, but the information is still recorded. Many of the Ford Systems now have it as well, but has not been used in a court case yet. The CN fords have had it installed for years now.

Its just a matter of time.

The problem isn't Autobahn v Interstate System, but how easy it is to get a license in the US.

In Germany it cost $1200 to just take the test and must get a 99%+ (297 out of 300 questions) on the written test. Then you have the issue of fuel price, which with these two issue added together--only those that need to drive do. This is also why mass transit works there.

Then you have the vehicle inspections that actually take vehicles off the road.

Basically on average a German on the Autobahn is more skilled, more educated and driving a vehicle in better shape than an American.

[/soapbox]

At least he was doing that speed on a Interstate and not some back road. Which is something I know not all of us can say.

Last edited:
Why not change the signs, charge a little more to drive on it. People are going to do the Cannonball run no matter what. Why not make a profit from it. Bet on who can get done the fastest. Better yet, charge $15,000 for the right to do the run. Have the police block other drivers so the race can be safe... Then use the extra tax dollars to fund Entitlement Programs. :)

Last edited:
Why not change the signs, charge a little more to drive on it. People are going to do the Cannonball run no matter what. Why not make a profit from it. Bet on who can get done the fastest. Better yet, charge $15,000 for the right to do the run. Have the police block other drivers so the race can be safe... Then use the extra tax dollars to fund Entitlement Programs. :)

That would defeat the whole purpose of it. If the entire path was blocked off, it becomes a challenge for ultra-rich people driving 6-figure exotics at top speed. I like that this guy did it with a car that wasn't crazy expensive, and on a budget that wasn't out of reach of most people.

The oddest part about this is that they didn't get stopped for speeding a single time while maintaining a 98mph average speed.

Jammers FTW

The two laser jammers they had must have been reliable...

Surprisingly, Ed says problems with law enforcement were minimal. Though the group saw a lot of police cars, especially in New Mexico and Arizona, the only close call came late at night in Ohio when they passed a Crown Vic sitting in a median. Dave was driving, and Ed yelled to slow down – but it was too late. They passed the police car at 95 miles per hour. It didn't move an inch.

I thought the previous record holder was Richard Rollins off of Gas Monkey Garage? At least on the show he boast that his buddy and him hold the record. They even had one show where he found the previous record holders car, a Jaguar, that they beat in a junkyard and he went and bought it.

I thought the previous record holder was Richard Rollins off of Gas Monkey Garage? At least on the show he boast that his buddy and him hold the record. They even had one show where he found the previous record holders car, a Jaguar, that they beat in a junkyard and he went and bought it.

Richard Rawlings was in the mix, yes - some details about a 'dispute' here (R.R. also chimed in via comments as well):
http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837

The previous record was an average of 91mph, and he didn't get stopped at all either.

Richard Rawlings and Dennis Collins had a slower time than Alex Roy, but they made their run after Roy had done his, but before he announced it. Rawlings and Collins thought they had the record, but it was beaten before they made it, and now Rawlings cries like a little girl that Roy took a different route and he won't believe Ed Bolian without seeing the gps tracking. He is desperately trying to hold onto a record he never really had. Props to him for making the run as fast as he did, but he isn't the record holder, he really never was, and he should either let it go, or try to beat Ed Bolian's time.

Last edited:
Back