Carbon Fiber Blockers are Finally Here.

92stockbird

Carbon fibr blockers

I've mostly been shifting from 2nd to 5th. 4th grinds pretty badly. I have the synchros, as someone told me that the synchros make it grind when they go bad. Anyway, I'm going to wait and have a look inside before I do anything else. My guess is, it'll need a set, so when I can afford, after confirming, I'll let you know

ricardoa1

I saw these at the shootout and trying to make up my mind on them. Without mudding up your thread. I noticed that the lining material is thin. What are you thoughts about the carbon fiber material and longevity? Is it possible that once you wear out the lining material these will default back to functioning brass blockers? It seems that there is enough brass so maintain normal function of the blocker long after the epoxied CF liner is destroyed. Do you agree? On stock fiber and the aftermarket ones once the lining gets destroyed the inner diameter increases and the blocker becomes useless since it looses its inability to grip the cone shape part of the gear.

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Wow...I really missed out while snoozing this summer! :eek:

Do you still have some of these Mike? I would have bought a set off you last weekend had I realized what you've been up to! Now, I might have to wait...:eek:

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I received a preproduction set last year and rebuilt a transmission using them. After 6 mos of regular driving and 2 Summit series race events I pulled the tranny, disassembled it, and checked the wear on the blockers. It was minimal with just an ever so slight scuffing as I had expected. Not once did it crunch when shifting thru the gears. The carbon fiber material is very hard and very tough. I used a small sharp edged file to try to file down the carbon fiber and it took a lot of pressure to even scratch it. I sawed a groove into it and again it was not easy, taking a bit of effort to cut through it. It is also very chip resistant and I was not able to chip off any of the carbon fiber material from the base metal. When assembled and the blocker is seated up against the gear the gap between the blocker and the gear is identical to an OEM blocker. Performing the same test with a file on an OEM blocker, I was easily able to cut into the OEM material which is compressed paper. I supplied to the manufacturer a reverse gear, synchronizer cluster, and a 3rd gear and synch cluster along with one of the old generation carbon fiber blockers, an OEM blocker, and a brass blocker to aid them in getting the fit correct. I do not believe that the blocker would perform properly with the lining worn off just like the OEM won't.
I'm currently running a moly coated blocker in 5th gear and it has performed flawlessly, never crunching on a shift.
As I have no more new OEM blockers I will be using the new ones from now on myself. I have complete confidence in them. As for longevity we won't know that for awhile yet but based on my initial testing, I believe they will last as long as the OEM's do if not longer.

ricardoa1

Thank you Mike, I was just wondering.

Im almost sold on them LOL. I know you have already ordered them and have them in stock but still debating weather the oil grooves are still necessary to aid in high RPM shifting. I rev my car to a little past 6000rpms so they fall to 5500 at the next shift. Others might not be willing to do that, but I like to be able to.

Hanlon Motorsports cuts the oil dispersing groves in their "real" CF blockers, I have not figured out why they did, but for somereason I feel compelled to do the same. I guess I can take it upon myself to cut grooves but wonder if these can be had with grooves cut?

Just thinking out loud here, just trying to talk about it a little more before I pull the trigger.
Wating to pay off my shootout expenses before I start to work on my car again, and these became priority all of a sudden

Attachments

• mmfp_1009_12_o+tremec_tko_600_transmission+stock_bronze_blocker_rings.jpg
    mmfp_1009_12_o+tremec_tko_600_transmission+stock_bronze_blocker_rings.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 177

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
I have found that neither the OEM nor the carbon fiber blockers like being shifted at or above 6000. They'll do it but not everytime. They don't crunch, it just feels like you hit a stone wall and won't go into gear. At 5500 they shift fine so I've dialed back my shift light. It is possible to file some grooves into the lining but I don't know that it would be necessary or helpful.