Coil pack smoking

easterneagle4

I recently replaced the power steering pump and the right side plug wires. When I go to hook up the battery, I get sparking from the neg post. Also I saw white smoke coming from the coil pack. What would cause this current draw? Ignition is in the off position. Car ran fine before power steering went out. I'm afraid to hook up the battery because I think something might catch fire.

You might be hooking up the battery backwards, and the alternator is what is smoking. Also check the alternator wiring for shorting to bracket. Larger black/orange, and smaller yellow/white wires.

Why did you only replace the right side wires? Had the left side been been done already?

I agree with SC-AL, the smoke must be from charging system related. Its one of the only systems under the hood that has battery power at all times. Harness got pinched during p/s pump replcement or as he said battery polarity is backwards.

You might be hooking up the battery backwards, and the alternator is what is smoking. Also check the alternator wiring for shorting to bracket. Larger black/orange, and smaller yellow/white wires.
I will check the harness. Battery is hooked up correctly.

Why did you only replace the right side wires? Had the left side been been done already?

I agree with SC-AL, the smoke must be from charging system related. Its one of the only systems under the hood that has battery power at all times. Harness got pinched during p/s pump replcement or as he said battery polarity is backwards.
I replaced the right side because the intercooler pipes were out of the way. The left side will be next. I'll check the harness for breaks. Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible that you pinched the positive cable when doing the pwr steering replacement or maybe it has a bare spot and is now rubbing on something after moving things around in the process of replacement?

I replaced the right side because the intercooler pipes were out of the way. The left side will be next. I'll check the harness for breaks. Thanks for the reply.
The intercooler pipes are on the left side, so you must have replaced left side( drivers side) wires. Not that any of it would be causing you heavy current draw & smoke.

Back