Custom SN95/SC conversion (probably a couple simple answers)

SuperCoupeSC91

i'm trying to convert over to mustang bolt pattern and having stock 94/95 SC calipers but with 94/95 spindles in my 91 SC so far this is what i have, but i have a few questions.(i'm doing this now because i will want to upgrade my brakes later but want to have the option later and i want to buy new rims) is this right so far ?

(Autozone Prices)

2 Rear SVT 99 Mustang Hubs
70.00 Each 140.00 Total

2 Rear hub bearings
30.00 each 60.00 Total

2 Front Mustang GT Hubs
70.00 Each 140.00 Total

2 front hub assembly bearings
85.00 each 170.00 Total

2 front 94 SC Calipers
37.00 each 25.00 core each
74.00 total 50.00 Core

2 front 94 Spindles
total ?? (need to buy on here)

****1. Do i need cobra rotors for cobra hubs or can u get any mustang 94+ rotors ?

(could i use these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473003459&category=33564)

****2. Can i use my stock 91 SC brake line to go to the 94 SC caliper ?

****3. Does a replacement hub assembly come with a retainer ?

Thanks Alex L

The Stang, like the T-bird front hubs have an pressed in bearing. So if you are buying the hub from Autozone, the bearing is already in it. You don't need to buy it seperate. (I'd be very suprised if you did as they are pressed in bearings and take a hefty press to get in or out). At least you should check with them on that.

On the rear, the bearing is pressed into the knuckle. The hub is then pressed into the bearing. A new rear bearings are not a bad idea as a maintenance item, but they shouldn't be required unless you are having a problem.

The parts are 93+ as well. So 93 calipers or spindles will also work. The front spindles can be from any 93+ MN12 will work, just make sure it's a MN12 with ABS.

You shouldn't need Cobra rotors. The bolt pattern is the same. You're using the stock SC rear caliper correct?

I think the brake line will fit. At the most the caliper might need a little grinding done to clear the fitting.

What's a retainer?

Oh, and have you seen Doug's article on all of this? It keeps moving around as he switches hosts. Currently it's here:

http://www.patmedia.net/fraleigh/Article.html

Last edited:
yes i'll be using the stock SC caliper.

the retainer i believe is the little clip that holds the bearing in, liek the big C clip.

Alex L

With the stock rear caliper, you don't need the cobra rotors. The cobra rotors are larger and have a different offset than the stock rotors. Thus to mount the bigger caliper you need a bracket to relocate the mounting position.

Ahh, that's called a Snap Ring and I found a reference that says it's on the rear. It likely isn't included with the bearing. And I'm not sure why it would come with a hub either. If you need a new one, you might have to source it seperately. I'm not sure though.

If your doing a hub swap do the rear bearings after doing mine as well as a friends and finding that the bearings were ready to blow up on both cars it's well worth your time and money. Both thes cars have about 100 000 MI so thats nothing to high. It only costs 60 in parts and it all ready apart at that time so it might take an extra 10min of work do put them in.
You can still get the big C clips from ford if you want to but new ones in even so I did not.

The snap ring is the piece listed in the parts on DLF's site as "bearing retainer". It is a big C-clip style snap ring, Ford hardware # N803955-S, only a few bucks each from the dealer.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

can i use my snap ring then with a mustang hub ? wasnt sure if i coudl do it or not ? Alex L, thanks for the help guys.

The 99-up Mustang Cobra rear hubs take the same bearing, hub nut, and snap ring as the 89 - 97 Birds / Cougars ... that's how we can swap them on to our cars. :)

cheers,
Ed N.

Back