Door Warning Chime Module -- Causing Other Problems?

nebmike71

Had no audible chime for key in ignition, headlights on, etc., so I checked the connection at the module. Cleaned and added dielectric grease, and then tested according to the shop manual (all tests passed). Now I have a very faint chime noise.

Just curious whether or not a faulty module could possible be linked to passive restraint (drivers buckle not moving) and/or ABS issues?

Given that everything else seems to be working correctly, except for the very quiet chime noise - is there any real need for me to replace this module?

Only if you want to listen to the obnoxious chime. My 90 does the same thing, you can barely hear it.

Is this what you mean?

Very informative, thanks. 1 of mine has been quiet for years, but I thought was from water damage when a large tree limb smashed the pass side the of windsheild & impaled the top of the dash pad. The glove box & slide open storage compartment was full to the top.

Mine has gotten progressively quieter over the last few years, but I can still hear it if I listen close. Not sure it is worth me trying to fix it.

My dinger dings! Life is all about the small successes. LOL

I followed the advice in the link above about how to fix it, and it worked perfectly. Cleaned off the disk and then just cut a ring from a piece of adhesive velcro (the soft side) to substitute for the crumbling foam ring... put it all back together and it sounds like new. Thanks, J dot for finding that resource!

Had no audible chime for key in ignition, headlights on, etc., so I checked the connection at the module. Cleaned and added dielectric grease, and then tested according to the shop manual (all tests passed). Now I have a very faint chime noise.

Just curious whether or not a faulty module could possible be linked to passive restraint (drivers buckle not moving) and/or ABS issues?

Given that everything else seems to be working correctly, except for the very quiet chime noise - is there any real need for me to replace this module?
95 xr7 2v auto, 110,000 mi
hello, my chimes started acting up a week ago, also at the same time it has been stalling / turning off. during restart it will fire however, it will not run for more than a few seconds. if the car sets for a few minutes it will run but it will die again. sometimes when it is running throttling at any level will kill it.
about the chimes, when moving or wiggling the ign. switch the chimes will come on or go off. at first i thought the two were tied together but after going into the ford service manual and the ford EVTM i don't see any coupling of the two. i have not worked on the car yet, no starting point yet, i think i will begin with the fuel delivery at both ends it has 101,000 and the inline looks original so look at volume and pressure.
has anyone had an issue like this before?, having the engine die at random times bothers me a lot, it is very unsafe.

on mine one of the wires near the key isnt attached so i think its triggering my chime. I just replaced the ignition switch and lock cylinder on mine because someone broke the switch and destroyed the cylinder to try and start the car without key.

Back