Engine cuts out at WOT

coupe crazy

SCCoA Member
Hello everyone. As the title states, engine cuts out at WOT. This is my first SC in about 12 years. I feel like I know the cause of this, but can't seem to find the answer among everything else in my head. The car drives and pulls as it should outside WOT condition. The CEL has not came on and the condition is the same whether the car is hot/cold. DIS? Coil? Ground? Fuel pressure? Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Attachments

• Ignition issue.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 10
Swapped the coil, changed nothing. I'm going to swap fuel filter and check pressure and voltage on the pump.

On my test drive, at WOT, the engine shutdown like it ran out of gas. A few start cycles and it fired right back up.

Any opinions?

I always diagnose first, and do the repairs second. My customers hate it, when I do it the other way around. My 89 5spd would surge, and laydown when it saw boost, and got worse, the more I drove it. I measured back pressure, monitored O2 sensors, then fuel flow, and pressure, when it was at it's worse. Also measured fuel pump current, and voltage. Turned out it was the original plastic pump screen, restricting the inlet of the pump.
Not saying that is your problem, but just showing proper way to trace down drivability issues.

Hello everyone. As the title states, engine cuts out at WOT. This is my first SC in about 12 years. I feel like I know the cause of this, but can't seem to find the answer among everything else in my head. The car drives and pulls as it should outside WOT condition. The CEL has not came on and the condition is the same whether the car is hot/cold. DIS? Coil? Ground? Fuel pressure? Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Could be any of those things you listed plus many others. (crank/cam/mass air/throttle postition sensors).
Need to follow a proper diagnostic process.

Appreciate the feedback fellas. I know I'm kind of looking for a short cut. Prior to satisfying my SC craving with this car, I dealt with almost every issue possible in the past and know there are issues that are almost going to be a given at some point. I don't mind " throwing parts" at it if I am unsure of the history of certain parts and they are cheap and easy to swap. But to your points, I am going to have to do a real diagnosis.

Back