Engine Trouble - Please help on suggestions

B Calwell

Engine Trouble

Please delete thread - somehow posted twice. Thank you!

Hey i don't know if anyone can help or not but i'm trying to diagnose a problem with my 91' SC with an automatic transmission. It runs great, but when you give it a
good amount of throttle around 60 mph to shift into third, it jerks hard forward, throws on the notorious "check engine" light, slowly decelerates until you stop, has no throttle response, and dies once you come to a stop. This would be an obvious tranny problem but it's a new transmission with a shift kit and 3k miles. The real head scratcher is when you cut off the engine and restart it, it runs good as new with no problem. I know this is difficult but does anyone have any suggestions? :(

-Also it's not everytime that this happens. It's various on when it does this but it's the same results.

Last edited:
throttle position sensor

also check the faults, as the light is on there should be a fault.

Last edited:
Hey thanks 90turbo1. I did some research on your reply and all the symptoms seem to match up. I checked with a friend of mine at autozone and i'm going to pick a new TPS up asap. Hopefully that will fully fix the problem considering it runs smooth other than that. :) thanks for the help and i'll post back once i have it installed

Back