Factory headunit

90blacksc

Replaced factory head unit with a OEM unit. My old headunit would come on just no sound. The one I replaced it with was out of a 90 super coupe with premium sound like mine. It turns on and plays music it just won't turn up loud. Volume all the way up and its sounds like a whisper. Any suggestions? I want the OEM style to keep it stock looking. Anyone repairing these?

Replaced factory head unit with a OEM unit. My old headunit would come on just no sound. The one I replaced it with was out of a 90 super coupe with premium sound like mine. It turns on and plays music it just won't turn up loud. Volume all the way up and its sounds like a whisper. Any suggestions? I want the OEM style to keep it stock looking. Anyone repairing these?

Paul Protos was the man that repaired these several years ago. Sent him my HU and CD player and they came back not only working great, but they looked as good as new. I am not sure what his contact information on here is though.

Edit: Here's his profile. He's still around here and logged into the site about a week ago.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/member.php?987-TwoTimeSC

Last edited:
Paul Protos was the man that repaired these several years ago. Sent him my HU and CD player and they came back not only working great, but they looked as good as new. I am not sure what his contact information on here is though.

Edit: Here's his profile. He's still around here and logged into the site about a week ago.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/member.php?987-TwoTimeSC

Thanks I'll look him up

I tried sending him a message says that's his box has exceeded the amount of messages

Last edited:
I just cleared my messages to make more room.

If your replacement '90 unit came from a car with the factory CD player, it will be virtually silent without a working CD player attached, even from radio & tape. Ford made Premium Sound head units that were to be interfaced with CD Players, and those that were meant to work without the factory CD. The only way to tell them apart is by their part number. That MAY be your problem, but, these particular units are so troublesome until rebuilt that both could have issues. They ALL fail in time due to leaking capacitors.

I am still around but I'm taking about a much needed 6 month break from my repairs that I have been doing for the last 15 years.

If you can wait until the first of the year, reach out to me at polyscroll@hotmail.com.

Paul Protos

Paul repaired the radio and CD player in my Anniversary and I'm more than happy with the finished results. If you can deal with the lack of tunes until next year, I'd wait.

If your replacement '90 unit came from a car with the factory CD player, it will be virtually silent without a working CD player attached, even from radio & tape. Ford made Premium Sound head units that were to be interfaced with CD Players, and those that were meant to work without the factory CD. The only way to tell them apart is by their part number. That MAY be your problem, but, these particular units are so troublesome until rebuilt that both could have issues. They ALL fail in time due to leaking capacitors.

I am still around but I'm taking about a much needed 6 month break from my repairs that I have been doing for the last 15 years.

If you can wait until the first of the year, reach out to me at polyscroll@hotmail.com.

Paul Protos

Any chance you have the part numbers handy to differentiate the different headunits? My 35th still has the JBL sound/factory CD player but came with an aftermarket CD unit...i'd like to get a good working OEM headunit/tape deck in there to keep everything stock. I can start looking around in case I can find something before the new year :).

Any help appreciated.

Paul Protos

Heya Paul! I've been patiently waiting til the new year to reach out. I even let a few more months pass by :). Did you resume making the repairs to the radios? Please yes...please say yes...

SC Electronics Repair

Sorry all,

I took a break from my repair work for a while due to the struggle of doing it while working my career job with Boeing.
I recently retired from Boeing and have now resumed my Ford electronics repairs pretty much full time.

If you have something you would like for me to take a look at or rebuild for you, just shoot me an email at polyscroll@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I sent you an email but it might have gotten lost in the shuffle, so thought I'd post here. I recently bought a '94 SC in really nice shape, and it has the JBL system with all the bells and whistles (premium cassette head unit, trunk 10-disc changer, JBL speakers, sub, & amps, even the console-mounted Ford-branded carphone). With the exception of the sub that I'm working on re-coning or replacing, the rest of the system is in fine working order, but I'm wondering what would be involved in just adding a 2-channel analog input to the head unit? I figure it must already have one for the CD changer, and I hear you're a wizard with these things, so just thought I'd see if you've done it before/what it might cost to do?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts and glad to "meet" you--it's fun getting to know this community and the go-to people in it.
Kyle

SC Electronics Repair

Sorry all,

I took a break from my repair work for a while due to the struggle of doing it while working my career job with Boeing.
I recently retired from Boeing and have now resumed my Ford electronics repairs pretty much full time.

If you have something you would like for me to take a look at or rebuild for you, just shoot me an email at polyscroll@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Paul
Welcome back! It has been years, but I did have a head unit and a CD player repaired by you. Are you strictly restoring audio equipment? Do you do the factory amplifiers or VMM restorations?

Paul:
...resumed my Ford electronics repairs pretty much full time.

Might that include ABS modules on Windstars, by any chance? I'm led to believe it's mostly a matter of re-doing a few board-level solder joints.

In any case, glad to hear about your availability, and good luck.

Ken

SC Electronics Repair

Sorry all,

Thanks,
Paul
Congrats on retirement and welcome back.

SC Electronics Repair

Sorry all,

Thanks,
Paul
Welcome back Paul and congrats on retirement. I acquired a 35th Anniversary Supercoupe last year. I had the JBL premium sound system but did not have the CD player. I have the original radio that the previous owner replaced because he said the original would not work. What would you charge to take a look at the original to see if you could repair?

Congratulations on retirement Paul. Thanks for returning to help on the radio repairs for us ford junkies.

Just got my JBL head unit back from Paul repairing it. Did a great job in a very timely manner and the radio sounds great! Would highly recommend Paul if you need a radio repaired!

Back