Fel pro head gaskets 9643PT1

Supercoupe.cw

I have exaust smell in my coolant overflow.It is bubbling air after I accelerate hard..I think I need to do head gaskets. I found fel pro 9642PT1 gaskets. I saw on another site that the part number is fel pro economy gaskets,are these the best gaskets I can use on a built motor? Also wondering how long the arp bolts can be used before I should replace them?.they are probably more than a decade old.Any knowledge is appreciated.

You'd be better served using gaskets from a F150 w a 4.2l. Those engines use MLS gaskets and are superior than the standard graphite gaskets.

Rock auto shows the part #'s as 9250PT and 9253PT they're side specific.

ARP head studs should be fine regardless of age. They are not torque to yield and designed to be reused. Set on my engine have 15 yrs and several head gasket jobs on them.

-Tim

You'd be better served using gaskets from a F150 w a 4.2l. Those engines use MLS gaskets and are superior than the standard graphite gaskets.

Rock auto shows the part #'s as 9250PT and 9253PT they're side specific.

ARP head studs should be fine regardless of age. They are not torque to yield and designed to be reused. Set on my engine have 15 yrs and several head gasket jobs on them.

-Tim
Thanks for the info Tim! I'll check that out! Much appreciated! Last time I did head gaskets in one of these I had the motor out...Hope this won't be to much of a pain with the engine in the car...
I am a sub on your you tube, I love the content!

MLS are thicker then std felpro. Might not be an issue for you but they would lower my quench to the point I would need to deck the block. I have been running std felpro for over 23 years with no issues.

MLS are thicker then std felpro. Might not be an issue for you but they would lower my quench to the point I would need to deck the block. I have been running std felpro for over 23 years with no issues.
Do you copper spray the the std felpro?

No copper spray. I will add that your deck and head prep will also dictate what gasket you use. Std graphite are more forgiving to the RA and prep of the surfaces in my experience. Both gaskets will have a different requirement for RA to hold properly, getting a machine shop to finish a head or block in the proper RA is difficult.

I appreciate the advice.i imagine it'll be hard to find a good machine shop where I am presently...I have both types of fel-pro gaskets mls and the regular. Im not sure what I'm doing yet. Its a built motor but ,I didn't build it. This is my 1st time inside it, so I was gonna go with whatever was in it...I'm pushing exaust into my coolant but only under boost. I'm betting its got mls in it now but I don't know for sure.

Back