Towards the end of HS I started my engine build. It was an 03 Grand Marquis engine I got for $300. Tore it down, went through everything to make sure it was in good shape (was honestly a perfect engine, no wear on the bearings or piston skirts at all. But certainly used conventional oil).
I didnt do anything with the heads, but I installed a set of 262AHs and a 75MM throttle body. Also put on a set of under drive pulleys that, now that Im older, were better off in the recycling bin.
Also moddified a set of mustang headers to fit. Was both the cheapest, and supposedly the most effective, option there was. Used my fathers shop, and my Mark 8 engine (this was in MI at the time) as a base, to weld them up. Used a flux core HF unit to do so.
So the list of mods for the car at this point is as follows: PI 4.6, Comp 262AH cams, long tube headers, a 96 Mark 8 MAF, a 3000 stall FTI convertor, a Jmodded transmission, and a set of injectors that were sold to me as 30#ers. Spoiler, they werent. And a chip tune from SCP.
Could never get it to run right. Being the kid I was I figured I couldnt have done anything wrong, so i went back and forth with Bill on the tune (who I now know was actually Dalke, so if youre reading this Id like to formally apologize). But the car never ran right after anything, and it wouldnt have. I finally I did a compression test, just to find that both cylinders 6&7 were dead 0 psi. At that point I just ripped the engine out, swapped a couple things over to my original engine, and have been running it ever since.
The short block of the PI I sold off for $100 and I kept the heads and cams. They are currently in my shed and the Teksid is still in MI. I plan to use those parts to build a cool SVO blown 4.6 in the future, but for now Im just going to put the car back together to enjoy it for the first time in about 2 years.
Very long story, yes. I skipped a lot. Most of this is documented on TCCoA, going back to 2016.