Finally, my 4.6L DOHC 90 XR7 is done (Lots of pics)

racecougar

Well, not really. :D I'll never really be done with it. As soon as it gets tuned, I'll be cruising the streets and hitting the track.

This is what it looked like Saturday morning, just after the front fenders were bolted on:

front%20clip%20progress.jpg

rear%20quarter%20shot.jpg

And here's a pic from about two hours ago. Unfortunately, it's dark and raining outside, so a nice outdoor picture will have to wait.

finished%20front%20clip.jpg

With a little creative bracketry and some modifications to a few parts, we were actually able to fit the DOHC under the stock 90 XR7 hood without cutting any of the stock hood bracing.

finished%20engine%20bay.jpg

Here are a couple relatively recent pictures of the interior. The kick panels, door sills, and sunvisors are installed now, though they aren't in the pictures.

showcar%20interior%204.jpg

showcar%20headliner%202.jpg

And of course, the underside:

showcar%20exhaust%201.jpg

showcar%20exhaust%202.jpg

And here is a partial mod list. There are plenty more mods done to this car, I just can't think of them all right now.

MODIFICATIONS:

ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN:
All Aluminum 4.6L DOHC V8 with dual runner intake
EEC-V Engine Management System tuned by David Dalke
AzzKicker Cars Cold Air Intake System with K&N conical filter
AzzKicker Cars Billet Aluminum EGR Delete Plate
80mm MAF sensor
Accufab 80mm MAF adapter
180 degree Thermostat
Intake Manifold Runner Control operated by MSD RPM switch & Driver at 3000rpm
6-AN Braided Stainless Steel Power Steering High Pressure Line
8-AN Oil Filter Lines
Remote Mounted Oil Filter Setup

1994 4R70W modified to handle 450 hp
2000 4R70W Valvebody and upgraded Accumulator Pistons and Reverse/OD Servos
Lincoln Mark 8 Torque Convertor
B&M 28,000 GVW Transmission Cooler
8-AN Braided Stainless Steel Transmission Cooler Lines
1997 Style Deep Sump Transmission Pan
Driveshaft rebuilt and balanced by Driveshafts Unlimited

Ford Racing Performance Parts Aluminum Rear Centersection
3.73:1 Gear Ratio
Ford Trac-Loc Limited Slip Differential
SC “Fat Shaft” halfshafts

MN12performance Polyurethane Engine, Transmission, and Differential Mounts

EXHAUST:
Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers with 1.75” primaries and 3” collectors
3” downtubes with Carsound Polished Stainless Steel Catalytic Convertors
Dual In/Dual Out 2.5” Magnaflow Polished Stainless Steel 18” long Muffler
Dual 3” tailpipes

EXTERIOR/COSMETIC:
Midnight Blue Metallic Paint with GM Silver Racing Stripes
Entire Underside of Car Painted in Flat Black
Engine Compartment Painted with Black/White Specks on Gray Base
Rear Deck Spoiler with Third Brake Light
5% Tint on Back Three Windows
Remote Fuel Door Release with Flat Fuel Door
1991-1993 Style Rear Taillights
Clear Front Corner Lights
Polished Rear Differential Cover
Polished/Engraved Hood Hinge Panel
Polished/Engraved AzzKicker Cars CAI
1994+ Style Roof Rails
LS Style Window Trim and Quarter Windows with Chrome Trim

Dante Designs Bullitt Replica Wheels: 17x8” front, 17x9” rear
Nitto 245/45/17 front tires
Nitto 275/50/17 rear tires

INTERIOR:
94-97 style Gray Dashboard, Door Panels, Console, and Rear Sail Panels
Original 90 XR7 Steering Wheel
Gray Cloth Seats
Black Carpet
Manual Front Seatbelts
Manual Driver and Passenger Seat Tracks
Custom Headliner with Stripes to match Exterior Paint
Overhead Console with Switch Panel
Triple Gauge Panel in Bottom DIN slot with Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges
150 MPH SHO Speedometer
8000 RPM SHO Tachometer
Pioneer 6x8” 4-way Front and Rear Speakers

SUSPENSION:
Vogtland 1” Drop Lowering Springs
ADDCO 1.25” Solid Front and Rear Anti-sway Bars
KYB GR2 Shock Absorbers
Aluminum Rear Lower Control Arms
Custom Made Aluminum Rear Lower Spring Perches

PBR Dual Piston Front Brake Rotors
B&M Linelocks on Front Brakes
Drilled/Slotted Front & Rear Brake Rotors
Non-ABS Master Cylinder Assembly

MISCELLANEOUS:
Trunk Mounted Optima Red Top Battery with Kill Switch
NHRA spec Aluminum Rear Firewall
92+ Style Fuel Tank
93+ Style Washer Fluid Tank

So, that's what I've been working on between other cars for the past few years. I can't wait to get it tuned and finally get to start driving it around.

Hope you guys like it.

-Rod

Rod, thats some excellent work that you have done to your cougar. I cant wait to see what it runs at the track with its current set-up. Keep us updated as it continues to evolve.

Shane

Looks good Rod. Can't wait to see the finished product in person. Although seeing it in a couple of different stages of completion will tide me over for a little while.

Rod I was just reading through your mod list and I saw that you have listed that you have a 150 MPH SHO Speedometer and 8000 RPM SHO Tachometer. Got any close ups this installed? What do you have to do to install these in an SC?

Shane

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Big thanks to my dad. If it weren't for all of his help, ideas, tools, shop, and general knowledge, this car wouldn't be halfway to where it is right now.

Here is a pic of the hood latch panel on this car:

hood%20latch%20panel.jpg

-Rod

quick35th said:
Rod I was just reading through your mod list and I saw that you have listed that you have a 150 MPH SHO Speedometer and 8000 RPM SHO Tachometer. Got any close ups this installed? What do you have to do to install these in an SC?

Shane

Yep.

What is required to install these in a SC? A 97 instrument cluster with a speedometer and a tach from a newer Taurus SHO.

What's required to install the 97 cluster? A 97 interior, with 97 wiring.

What's required to install that? I wrote a tech article on that one. :D

In other words, if you have a 89-93, a whole lot of work. :eek:

-Rod

Attachments

• showcar ins cluster.JPG
    showcar ins cluster.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 686
racecougar said:
Yep.

What is required to install these in a SC? A 97 instrument cluster with a speedometer and a tach from a newer Taurus SHO.

What's required to install the 97 cluster? A 97 interior, with 97 wiring.

What's required to install that? I wrote a tech article on that one. :D

In other words, if you have a 89-93, a whole lot of work. :eek:

-Rod

Looks good Rod. Its probably more work than its worth for me so I will just forget about it.

Shane

Car looks awesome rod, glad I got to see it in an intermediate stage last year. Can you tell more about the custom overhead console?

Paul

Nice job on customizing your car, looks very clean/factory-like. :cool: What do you expect the car to pull at the track?

Very nice Rod. I've seen the car in process and know how much work was involved. I think it's really cool how you and your Dad work together on these projects.

Look forward to seeing you and the car at some of our local meets.

David

BT Motorsports said:
Car looks awesome rod, glad I got to see it in an intermediate stage last year. Can you tell more about the custom overhead console?

Paul

Thanks, Paul. The overhead console is from a 99+ Chevy Silverado pickup. In order for it to be installed, I had to reform the front half of the headliner using fiberglass and foam, and I had to add another crossmember in the roof of the car to provide a mounting location for the rear of the console. The whole reason why I went to all of the trouble to install it was to have a place for a switch panel and simply to be different.

mfewtrail said:
Nice job on customizing your car, looks very clean/factory-like. What do you expect the car to pull at the track?

Thanks, that was the goal. I'm shooting for high 13's in it's current state (after a tune of course). I do have plans to add a SC to it in the future, but I need to get a few other cars done first.

David Neibert said:
Very nice Rod. I've seen the car in process and know how much work was involved. I think it's really cool how you and your Dad work together on these projects.

Look forward to seeing you and the car at some of our local meets.

David

Thanks, David. I'll definitely bring this car to our local meets as soon as it gets tuned. Speaking of which, we need to have a meet sometime soon.

-Rod

I got a few more pics off another camera finally, so here's a decent one of me with the car. Keep in mind, that was after spending a full three days thrashing on the car, so I was a little tired and worn out in the pic.

showcar%20and%20me.jpg

-Rod

Nice car,I really like your exhaust system
was that v6 before or v8 car?.I'll be doing same swap over winter time into my sc.My brother has 98 mark 8 with vortech blower.If you ever decide to trow blower on it,you'll be shocked how much deffrence you can get after trowing blower--even on low boost.
whould you give me some infos about the swap in couple months.
Derek

Thanks guys.

Derek, that's a 90 XR7, so yes, it came with the 3.8L SC. If you have specific questions during your swap, just send me a PM and I'll try to help out. Just keep in mind it isn't a super easy swap. There isn't one single piece of stock wiring on my 90 XR7. None.

I do have plans to SC the car, but it will be a little while. Heck, I at least need to break the engine in. :D

-Rod

supercatxr7, I wouldn't mind making the air filter heat sheilds, hood latch panels, gauge/switch panels, etc., but I just don't have the time to do it. Between college, building MN12's, and selling MN12 parts both here and at tccoa.com, I'm pretty swamped.

Mike, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the Shootout this year.

Here's a couple more recent pictures. It's finally tuned and I've put 270 miles on it in the past few days. Big thanks to Dave Dalke for tuning it, and to David N. for letting me borrow a chip. The only problem I have now is that driving my 94 Splitport LX just isn't as much fun as it used to be. :D

XR7%20readers%20rides%202.jpg

front%20quarter%20shot.jpg

Also, I wish I had a better pic, but I painted the fins of the LS style grill (the only good 89-90 Cougar grill I had) satin black.

finished%20car%20in%20shop.jpg

I took it to a car show over the weekend, and it definitely received a lot of attention. I'll be taking it on a hot rod cruise this Saturday, and hopefully I'll get it over to the track before the end of the season.

-Rod

Last edited:
Back