Ford 3.8 Experimental Engine

Magius

From the small bit of info Ive collected there's is a great possibility this is a one of one. I talked to a son of one of the engineers who worked on it (His brother gave me the motor) and he said this was a closed door project. even he knew very little about it. Im going to start collecting casting numbers off of it. I know for sure its a 3.8sc block. Also using a heavily modified NA upper intake.

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Thats pretty neat. Had never seen this before, you have a piece of history!

Looks like they realized a large front mount IC was key.

-Tim

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
Pretty sweet! Looks like it was maybe going in a x9 Thunderbird. Going off the valvecover numbers. 9 would be the last digit of year and S is the digit for Thunderbird. E where the X is would be the 80s and F would be 90s.

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Do you have the passenger side bracket. Be interested to see those differences...alternator location also.

-Tim

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
9SE would suggest it was made in 89 for a Thunderbird?
9= last year of the decade
S= Thunderbird
E= decade of 80's

Wile E. Coyote Jr.

Given its in 89 designation Id imagine theyde be testing for a something atleast 4-5 years away. Or 2-3 if its a race application.

Could possibly be a test bed engine for the 94-95 SC.

I personally think it would have been for a car like the IMSA Cougar, or possibly a tie in with the Kenny Brown SWBs.

The size of that intercooler alone tells me it wouldnt have been in a production car. The staged injection set up reinforces that.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
I was just going to suggest that. I think something very simular to this was used in the 1990 Roush prepared IMSA GTO class Cougars. I think long blocks were shipped direct from Essex assembly plant to the race shops where they added their own induction & exhaust system's. But? This pic's above also show a A/C compressor installed, so maybe a shared engineering project between Ford & Roush?

ricardoa1

They probably realized the early Eaton didn’t move enough air and dropped it. Looks like a lot of great parts with an Achilles Eaton.

Wile E. Coyote Jr.

The blower looks extremely modified, so idk if Id say thats it.

There must have been another reason.

I think that would just how complicated it was to build/run. Plus from a reliability stand point. Running the staged injection set up in 1989 would have been a big task ECM wise. Plus we all know by now the 3.8s HG issues, maybe they ran into similar problems.

Obviously all we can do is guess its purpose and why nothing ever came from it. But the parts it has are incredible imo.

The blower looks like its extended, with mid body welds and the extra short snout. I dont know when the M112 or M122 were released but it almost looks like a precursor to those size wise.

Id love to know the cam specs and what internals its running. As well as a look at the heads.

KMT

Looks like a test stand/dyno queen to me - an intake performance mule, perhaps. I doubt all those injectors were meant to work in unison, with 1/2 of them simply plugging holes.

decipha

to me it looks like someone else might have got their hands on it along the line

I don't see why it wouldn't be simple enough to get her running though. She seems pretty much intact.

Magius

to me it looks like someone else might have got their hands on it along the line

I don't see why it wouldn't be simple enough to get her running though. She seems pretty much intact.
That's my goal. I don't think it will be too bad. I've checked the inside of everything and it all looks good. I will post pictures shortly. Everything internally looks stock to me. I've been looking at aftermarket ecus. Anything input on that would be great.

Magius

The blower looks extremely modified, so idk if Id say thats it.

There must have been another reason.

I think that would just how complicated it was to build/run. Plus from a reliability stand point. Running the staged injection set up in 1989 would have been a big task ECM wise. Plus we all know by now the 3.8s HG issues, maybe they ran into similar problems.

Obviously all we can do is guess its purpose and why nothing ever came from it. But the parts it has are incredible imo.

The blower looks like its extended, with mid body welds and the extra short snout. I dont know when the M112 or M122 were released but it almost looks like a precursor to those size wise.

Id love to know the cam specs and what internals its running. As well as a look at the heads.
I'm have been trying to figure the supercharger out. Heavily modified. About 2inchs longer then m90. It has a eaton serial number on it. I was thinking about contacting them to see if they could give me info on it.