fuel leak

chickencoupe

Had noticed a faint fuel smell the last few times I started the car and was snooping in the wrong place thinking I had a leaky injector. Smelled strong today and I could smell it before opening the hood. Checked by fuel filter and sure enough the rubber hose coming off the hard lines is cracked and more than just leaking it's pissing fuel.
Is this just a matter of getting the right diameter hose and cutting length of hose to match or should I be searching out a replacement hose from Ford or parts store?
Vid attached. Thanks

Last edited:

bowez

Any auto parts place will have the replacement Nylon line (5/16"). If you have a heat gun should be no problem getting on if not just get some rubber fuel line and hose clamps.

chickencoupe

Okay I found a nylon replacement fuel line repair kit for Ford that looked like what was on the inlet side of the fuel filter 5/16" quick connect and line. I cut it to size and tried to muscle it on the steel line but couldn't get it on fully so I got out the heat gun and when trying to push the hose on I kinked the hose a bit. Not bad but I'm not comfortable with it. I'm going to grab another one tomorrow.
Can I use any type of lubricant to help this hose on or is that I'll advised?
That's not the most frustrating part. I decided to change the fuel filter while I was there and for the life of me I can not get the spring clip to disconnect. There was a quick disconnect tool included with the fuel line repair kit that didn't work nor did my cheepie harbor freight ones.
This is the quick disconnect on the outlet side of the fuel filter on the braided fuel line. Is it that I need a thicker lipped tool to depress the clips? I can see on the plastic tools where the four spring clips are hitting the plastic but maybe not opening enough to pull the filter out?

Purelator filter # f64728 on the car and what I purchased to replace.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sam jones

Good evening

You will have to use the ford metal fuel disconnect tool set. Should be a total of 4. Red, Blue, Gold, Black. If my memory is correct I believe the gold tool worked. I purchased the set at NAPA. Maybe the discount auto store stock this set. Spray a little penetration oil at the outlet side of the fuel filter inside the quick disconnection. If this does not work you can cut the line/nipple portion at the outlet of the fuel filter. The tool should now fit with a little muscle, pliers and penetration oil you can disconnect the remaining section.

Good Luck.

bowez

No advice on the quick connect fitting (there for assembly not service and are a ~~~~), just get the right tool (I have 3 different set and none are exactly easy).

As for lube anything Petroleum based will be ok, I would stick with Petroleum Jelly though.

chickencoupe

Thanks for the help fellas. Got the right tool and the line popped right off after some persuasion. Up and running again. Of course after all that the old filter seemed just fine but being that the car is new to me at least I now know when the new one was replaced for peace of mind.