gnx

chickencoupe

Just watched a 87 grand national sell at Barrett Jackson for $115,000:eek:

Am I missing something? A rattle box straight line car, 3.8 , with crappy amenities and some horse power is bringing one hundred times the book value of a super coupe with similar limited production numbers.

Last edited:
you are missing something..

They built GN and then they built the race car which was the GNX... That is the difference here as well as the aftermarket is 100% behind those cars, not ours....Rich

I understand what the gnx is I just dont understand how it could bring that much money. Race car? On a regal platform? 55 more horse than late model super coupe and still a fourteen second car that ways a few hundred pounds less.
I think the sc has much nicer appointments and drivability as well.
They also built the thunderbird and then built the super coupe:)

Last edited:
1992 FORD THUNDERBIRD NASCAR RACE CAR
358 V8, 4 Speed Manual $137,500 2010 Barrett-Jackson

I love the GNX, but agree that price is pretty crazy. My take on it is that the people who were kids or teenagers when some of the 80's hot cars were new, can often now afford those cars (if they can locate them), but the irony is that the bidding wars for them push them back way outside of the affordable range again.

I guess I was just secretly hoping that the super coupe would garner a little more acclaim, and value. Then again I probably wouldnt have the opportunity to own one if that was the case. I get that they are different beasts but i think the hype and myths around the gnx have over inflated what the car is truly worth. in the end its worth what someone is willing to pay so to each his own.

One of the things you have to remember about Barrett Jackson is that when people get money, they get the car they dreamed about in high school. You can sort of track the age of buyer by watching that dream car purchase go from Tri-Five Chevys to first-gen Camaros to Bandit Trans Ams as the years go on. I don't remember a lot of people at my high school lusting after Supercoupes.

Obviously there are other factors, like production numbers, but it's not about how good a particular make or model is.

While it is somewhat sad to the legacy of the SC in that they're not very well coveted, I think that at some point, the values will go up. How much they go up is anyone's guess, but we should be lucky that we can get these fantastic cars at the bargain basement prices that we get them at. These engines are such great bang for buck platforms to build more power on. Edit: I play music and play and collect various music gear, and you'd be amazed at the prices that some of the gear goes for. I've always been a firm believer in that if the gear plays and sounds great, that eventually it may go up in value, but even if it doesn't, if you're in the know about something great, you can usually get it for dirt cheap. There's so many cheap pedals from China, Taiwan and Japan from the 70's and 80's that go for ridiculous prices now.

Last edited:
guys were selling gnx's for 80,000 back in 89. bought em new and immediately jacked up the price to double. i always thought it was nuts to sell for that much money before it became a collector car, because you could never make any profit on it even if you waited until now to sell it.

mn12's are always overlooked...the ONLY times ive had people come and talk to me about my cars they have all been over the age of 60,lol...
the platform these cars were built on is amazing and top notch imo...these old superdupes use alot of what the newer cars are just now starting to use..
ford had the rite idea but they should have never changed the mn12 platform and dropped the mark8 and cougar and then come out with that all around horrible new style(styled though after the late model) thunderbird GROSSSSSSSSSSSSS and not only does it look like a slug but drives like one too..

One of the things you have to remember about Barrett Jackson is that when people get money, they get the car they dreamed about in high school. You can sort of track the age of buyer by watching that dream car purchase go from Tri-Five Chevys to first-gen Camaros to Bandit Trans Ams as the years go on. I don't remember a lot of people at my high school lusting after Supercoupes.

Obviously there are other factors, like production numbers, but it's not about how good a particular make or model is.

Drove a modified 89 SC in high school & drive a stock 89 SC meow. Not a single person lusted at it..., that is accurate.

Back