Got myself a New Daily Driver...German Content!

PHATBRD

So with gas prices rising and my work commute increasing with my recent promotion i decided to sell my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I was looking at many different cars and finally settled on this one.
2001 BMW 530i with 51k miles with premium and cold weather package
I am in love with this car and the way it rides!
I can finally understand why they call it the Ultimate Driving Experience!

Even though its my daily and i never put any money into them i plan to do couple things to this one!

I want to tint the windows, get the HIDs, 18 inch wheels (stock ones are 16's) black out all the chrome trim and change the grill to black.

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6452.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6457.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

IMG_6456.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

So what do you guys think? I am having hell of a time picking wheels for this one!
I want to stick to BMW wheels, Keep it as stock as possible!

Debating between these 3 wheels...

CLS Wheels
2711d1235360297-f-s-e46-m3-csl-wheels-tires-0922081848.jpg

M5 Wheels
E39Brakes.jpg

M Parallel Wheels
bmw_wheel_037.jpg

go with "m" parallel they are the third pic.

the first pic is of a e90 wheel and i dont belive they will fit. some where along the line they changed the hub center diamater. but may be mistaken.

if you add the HID's you will have a check control message saying the headlamps are burnt out. so beware of that.

but other than that its a very nice car, those e39's are the best car that bmw ever made. built the best, hold up the best, and are just the right size.

good find.

Looks like a nice car! I like the first set of wheels. Def better on gas than a Grand Cherokee. Only bad thing is the parts are so pricey for those things...

I vote for none of the above...just leave it alone and drive it like it is.

David

x2 its not an M car it never was and it never will be. What happened to the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, or was it overland.

You went from 4x4 in the michingan winter to a RWD car? Nice car though.

YUP ditch those stock wheels and tires, the ride is nice with them but they are fugly.

the e90 wheel in first pic will not properly fit the e39 5 series. checked it at work today.

M wheels were fitted to many non M cars from factory, it doesnt mean the car is a "M" car, they were fitted to cars with the sport package.

Also it looks like you are missing the drivers side front fender liner, be sure to check the wiring for the temp sensors up there if that is in fact missing. the wheel wells and front under the car should be completly covered and filled in to about the transmission. that will keep alot of snow, salt, debris from getting up and wrecking the wiring and belts, ect. up there.

any other help you need with her let me know (i am a bmw master tech)

nice car again.

YUP ditch those stock wheels and tires, the ride is nice with them but they are fugly.

the e90 wheel in first pic will not properly fit the e39 5 series. checked it at work today.

M wheels were fitted to many non M cars from factory, it doesnt mean the car is a "M" car, they were fitted to cars with the sport package.

Also it looks like you are missing the drivers side front fender liner, be sure to check the wiring for the temp sensors up there if that is in fact missing. the wheel wells and front under the car should be completly covered and filled in to about the transmission. that will keep alot of snow, salt, debris from getting up and wrecking the wiring and belts, ect. up there.

any other help you need with her let me know (i am a bmw master tech)

nice car again.

I know to me an M car is a car with a Motorsports Sport package or the complete Motorsports package, M5.

Im getting old dont mind me, I no longer find clone cars appealing.

I know to me an M car is a car with a Motorsports Sport package or the complete Motorsports package, M5.

Im getting old dont mind me, I no longer find clone cars appealing.

I dont see how he is making a clone car. the third wheel pictured was never installed on a real "m" car, m5 or such. he would have to do alot more than add some motorsport wheels to make a clone.

like i said the third wheel is a motorsport wheel or M parallel as they are called, they were fitted to 5 and 7 series cars e39 and e38 respectivly. and my point was that it was said that because the car is not an M that is shouldnt get motorsport wheels. that is not true the factory sells the cars with motorsport wheels and they are not m cars.

anyway the point of the first post was that he is obviously not happy with the look of the stock 16 inch wheels, and he presented three choices. with only one of those being a real M5 wheel.

Cool man, just dont go posting pictures here every time you slap a set of new wheels, or "black out the chrome" .. :rolleyes:

- Dan

I dont see how he is making a clone car. the third wheel pictured was never installed on a real "m" car, m5 or such. he would have to do alot more than add some motorsport wheels to make a clone.

like i said the third wheel is a motorsport wheel or M parallel as they are called, they were fitted to 5 and 7 series cars e39 and e38 respectivly. and my point was that it was said that because the car is not an M that is shouldnt get motorsport wheels. that is not true the factory sells the cars with motorsport wheels and they are not m cars.

anyway the point of the first post was that he is obviously not happy with the look of the stock 16 inch wheels, and he presented three choices. with only one of those being a real M5 wheel.

Like I said dont mind me, I am well aware of what BMW puts on their cars.
And sure you can order a car with M wheels, just like you can go on line to Ford Motorsports catalogue and get cobra or other mustang wheels. But Miki has a nice summer bird and this car is a daily driver. The comments to leave it alone are on the premise that if a daily driver leave it alone spend more $$ on the bird.

But I am getting old and like I said so dont mind me.

hey guys i put on over 300 miles on it and this thing is amazing im getting 20+mpg
i can not belive how fast and responsive it is for 3 liter!
everything is so smooth and 120+ does not even feel like 60mph
i love the comfort and ride and thats why i want to stay with 18's
most likely i will end up getting m parallels wheels
i am enjoying it and i know that stuff is expencive for it, my friend that did my engine knows them inside and out and he will be working on it:)

Tight ride. I like the second set of wheels the best, but I'd keep the stock ones if it's a daily driver and upgrade the radio instead. :D

PS: I don't want to scare you because a BMW can last forever if well maintained, but I can't emphasize how important it is to maintain the cooling system in the 3.0L BMW engine. They are worse than an SC if they are allowed to overheat. If you follow this general guideline though, that engine will last upwards of 300k miles or more.

Replace the water pump every 60k miles. Every 100k, replace the radiator, hoses and overfill tank. Use BMW's blue coolant. Also check suspension components. Other than that, follow regular maintenance procedures.

I know it's not something anyone wants to hear, but this is advice I was given by a lot of BMW enthusiasts in the local club, a couple high end tuners/mechanics and research I did online when I was looking at e39's and e46's last summer.

Tight ride. I like the second set of wheels the best, but I'd keep the stock ones if it's a daily driver and upgrade the radio instead. :D

PS: I don't want to scare you because a BMW can last forever if well maintained, but I can't emphasize how important it is to maintain the cooling system in the 3.0L BMW engine. They are worse than an SC if they are allowed to overheat. If you follow this general guideline though, that engine will last upwards of 300k miles or more.

Replace the water pump every 60k miles. Every 100k, replace the radiator, hoses and overfill tank. Use BMW's blue coolant. Also check suspension components. Other than that, follow regular maintenance procedures.

I know it's not something anyone wants to hear, but this is advice I was given by a lot of BMW enthusiasts in the local club, a couple high end tuners/mechanics and research I did online when I was looking at e39's and e46's last summer.

Are ya Drooling Paul? SWEET RIDE!

So here are some updates on the Bimmer...

I blacked out the window trim, grill and tinted corners and taillights as well as got flat black wheels
If i keep it for longer then I intend then I would like to do M5 front and back bumper and spoiler and nicer wheels...

Btw. The car is freaking awesome and i enjoy driving it daily!

Pics came out crappy but enjoy anyways!

IMG_8443.jpg

IMG_8456.jpg

IMG_8455.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

It's amazing how different the car looks. It looks like it got significantly longer and sleeker just by the trim drawing your eye to different parts of the car compared to how it was stock.

I thought it looked fine originally, now it looks like it was old and beat up and someone tried to cover up the flaws with bbq paint. Those are not the best looking cars in the world but they do drive great.
Alan

Back