Head studs torque procedure - looking for last minute help.

kendall221

Ok.....181,000 miles on my '95 and have finally reached the point of replacing the head gaskets. I've read through all of the posts and seen the conflicting opinions regarding torque values for the ARP head studs. I'm using the ARP 2.8 liter chevy studs (233-4003) At the risk of starting the battle again, here's what I'm planning to do:

1) clean out all the lower bolt holes
2) apply thread sealant on the lower portion of studs and thread hand tight into the holes all the way to the bottom.
3) I've seen one comment regarding a clearance issue of the lower studs with the brake master master cylinder on 89 - 93. In that case, the head had to be put in place and the stud threaded in afterwards. Anyone know of that same issue on '94-'95s?
4) Lube upper threads and washers with ARP moly lube. Tighten in sequence from Helms manual in increasing torque values as follows: 25 - 45 - 65 - 85 ft-lbs. (Looks like everyone is using the higher torque values even though ARP says 70 ft-lbs with the ARP moly lube. I saw posts where people had heads lifting under boost when they used 70 ft-lbs.)
5) Let sit for an hour. Retorque to 85 ft-lbs.
6) Put everything else back together.

Thanks in advance for the help!

David

Last edited:
Back