Heater Blower Speed Controller

RalphP

SCCoA Member
Good news - most common failure seems to be that TO3 power transistor, and it's still available from folks like Mouser and DigiKey.

It's a pain to remove and replace, but that, and a new electrolytic, should restore it to proper operation.

Yes, I have one, but it's my spare for my 1991 Cougar :p Not selling it.

RwP

Motohead

SCCoA Member
Good news - most common failure seems to be that TO3 power transistor, and it's still available from folks like Mouser and DigiKey.

It's a pain to remove and replace, but that, and a new electrolytic, should restore it to proper operation.

Yes, I have one, but it's my spare for my 1991 Cougar :p Not selling it.

RwP
They’re not too bad to get out if you squeeze the back part of the glove box you can pull it past the stops and let it swing downward then you can get right to the part It’s held in with two tiny screws and has one plug

Motohead

SCCoA Member
I also have a 1993 that has the electronic controller (I think it might have been an option) the quick way to check is the dash has the temp display and a slider for fan speed. Unfortunately I already pilfered that one.

IMG_3782 (1).jpg

RalphP

SCCoA Member
They’re not too bad to get out if you squeeze the back part of the glove box you can pull it past the stops and let it swing downward then you can get right to the part It’s held in with two tiny screws and has one plug

Heh.

I meant desoldering the transistor ... the module itself is easy to swap.

Somewhere along the way either the heater core sprung a leak, or the drain plug plugged.

That's about all that will cause that to rust like that.

RwP

JonS

SCCoA Member
I got my replacement controller for my 95 from RockAuto. It was maybe $100. Job took about 15 mins to replace. The only difference was the original had a made in canada sticker, the replacement made in china. I switched the stickers lol

Motohead

SCCoA Member
Heh.

I meant desoldering the transistor ... the module itself is easy to swap.

Somewhere along the way either the heater core sprung a leak, or the drain plug plugged.

That's about all that will cause that to rust like that.

RwP
or you let the car sit outside without the cowel cover

Motohead

SCCoA Member
I got my replacement controller for my 95 from RockAuto. It was maybe $100. Job took about 15 mins to replace. The only difference was the original had a made in canada sticker, the replacement made in china. I switched the stickers lol
the only ones I can find on rock auto are the resistor type (no transister)

fstcoup

SCCoA Member
Your blower motor resistor is available from most all auto parts stores. I bought one for my 90 from O'Reillys last month.

RalphP

SCCoA Member
Your blower motor resistor is available from most all auto parts stores. I bought one for my 90 from O'Reillys last month.
RESISTOR - yes.

SPEED CONTROLLER - no.

For the EATC, the speed is infinitely variable (almost!), so it's a pass transistor and some support parts, not a simple resistor.

RwP