Help! 94SC blowing black smoke won’t idle and hesitation!

rwferguson

I keep re-reading the first post and grabbing more info and also answering my own questions.

Tell me more about the tune. If it has a quarter horse chip with a tune the tell they are bad is key on the fan kicks on high. When my chip failed in my 95 it acted a lot like that video now that I think about it (this was around 2015 ish) so memory is only so good.

I've convinced myself at this point it's the tune lost or is a QH chip the battery has failed.

-Tim
Are chip died as well. We have removed the chip and confirmed the ECU is working properly and now the car starts, runs and idles like it should! By chance do you know how to replace the battery with a CR2032? Also by chance do you know if we replace the battery will are tune still be on there? Tim THANK YOU!

rwferguson

Watched your video and I'm not at all an expert by any means but it sounds like mine did when my computer went bad mine was leaking rain water at the fresh air vent under the cowling fixed the leak replaced the computer ran fine I'd ve inclined to tell you to take the advice of some of the other member because their knowledge super exeds mine but that's where my opinion is best of luck to you
Thank you for helping us! Your post made me check the ECU for water which lead to Tim’s post about his battery dying in his chip. Thank you so much! Your opinion put us on the exact track we needed to be on the whole time! Thank you 35th!!

35th

My pleasure just trying to help people like I've been helped so many times here glad to hear it's on the right path to repair my the Birds fly forever!

35th

Where are yall located I'm in Columbia SC and it rained here hard yesterday wondering if yall are near me

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Contact moates they will replace the old chip for free on an exchange. Its a known issue on the older chips. The new chip has a replaceable battery rather than a solder.

I've never had a 94/95 ecu go bad. Id get the chip swapped and have dalke toss a tune back on it.

-Tim

rwferguson

Contact moates they will replace the old chip for free on an exchange. Its a known issue on the older chips. The new chip has a replaceable battery rather than a solder.

I've never had a 94/95 ecu go bad. Id get the chip swapped and have dalke toss a tune back on it.

-Tim
We talked to Moates they said they no longer offer the free replacement. We have to pay the 100.00 bucks for the new QH with the replaceable battery. We got ahold of Dave and he is sending us a J3 chip with the tune and A copy of the tune. Should be here in a couple days. Eventually Dad may want to use the QH chip but at this point it’s just less trouble to buy the J3.

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
We talked to Moates they said they no longer offer the free replacement. We have to pay the 100.00 bucks for the new QH with the replaceable battery. We got ahold of Dave and he is sending us a J3 chip with the tune and A copy of the tune. Should be here in a couple days. Eventually Dad may want to use the QH chip but at this point it’s just less trouble to buy the J3.
J3 makes sense...shame that moates stopped the free swap. Glad DD is helping you get back motoring.

-Tim

rwferguson

Well so we got the J3 chip today. She’s idles and revs great when she’s not in gear even builds boost when she’s out of gear. But when you start to drive her she’s breaks up bad. The second you hit boost she just doesn’t like it one but. Dad bought a new MSD coil pack and Taylor 8.8mm wires with the motorcraft spark plugs gapped at .45, she won’t pop a CEL either I’m starting to get concerned it might be an issue with compression Dad is super bummed out about the car. Any advice? I’m hoping it’s something other than compression. Maybe need to have a tighter gap? This car has a lot of sentimental value. Dads already put 1900.00 in to her up to this point and only managed to get the idle back to normal. Oh we also but new NGK O2 sensors in it as well. Would I clogged fuel filter possibly be an issue? Only other thing I can think of. We were also thinking about sea foaming the engine through the intake (After the MAF) maybe carbon build up. I only have a few days left before I head back to Ohio and was really wanting to get the car running for him before I left. Dads going through a lot of negativity right now. To be honest his wife has filed divorce papers when I first posted for help. I just don’t know what else to do

35th

Fuel filter could be an issue and when I did my plugs and I have less upgrades than you do I set mine at 35 which solved alot of issue for me internally my engine is stock just a few bolt ons no chip tune

rwferguson

Fuel filter could be an issue and when I did my plugs and I have less upgrades than you do I set mine at 35 which solved alot of issue for me internally my engine is stock just a few bolt ons no chip tune
That’s honestly what I was thinking next. Fuel filter and gap the plugs tighter. Maybe 30ish

35th

Not necessarily on Sc's but I've definitely seen fuel filters on cars that got to a point where the car would idle just fine and Rev up but as soon as you load it up as in actual driving absolutely fall flat on it face with no horse power. I'm sure you've checked and I probably missed it but vacuum lines are they all good and intact no leaks or anything

rwferguson

Not necessarily on Sc's but I've definitely seen fuel filters on cars that got to a point where the car would idle just fine and Rev up but as soon as you load it up as in actual driving absolutely fall flat on it face with no horse power. I'm sure you've checked and I probably missed it but vacuum lines are they all good and intact no leaks or anything
Correct. Put new plugs in gapped them at 35 and did some troubleshooting. Found out the new MAF we bought was junk. Car is running great now! Powers not all there and I do remember it being much much faster. Babe still pulls about 15-16 lbs. if I recalled it buried the boost needle. So I’m just going to do some routine maintenance on the car. Replace all the vacuum lines and also install a new fuel filter just in case. Has anyone had any experience with running sea foam through the engine? I know you can run it through the brake booster vacuum line but I bought the one with the stray you spray after the MAF and air filter

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Gap seems wide and the bucking and hesitation is usually a sign of a bad plug, wires or vacuum leak on these cars.

Also if it were me I'd put the Ford coil pack back on. Most of the high power builds on this site (including mine) still run the OE coil pack.

-Tim

rwferguson

Gap seems wide and the bucking and hesitation is usually a sign of a bad plug, wires or vacuum leak on these cars.

Also if it were me I'd put the Ford coil pack back on. Most of the high power builds on this site (including mine) still run the OE coil pack.

-Tim
With the old coil pack on the hesitation was worse. I ended up starting from scratch. When the chip was installed and the car was not going into boost I ended up replacing the plugs and found #4 cylinder wasn’t firing. (Hard spot to firmly press the wire on to) so swapped the plugs out for the NGK TR6. Toke it out and still wouldn’t go into boost. So I ended up pulling the MSD coil pack off and going back to the OEM coil pack then toke the car back out with no improvements except now cylinder 4 was firing. Pulled off the side of the road and re-installed the old MAF and now we were able to get into boost but the hesitation was pretty bad. Swapped back to the MSD and the hesitation improved. Theirs just a slight hesitation from 2-3k rpm and goes away. I do agree the vacuum lines do need to be replaced due to the car sitting for almost 10 years.