How do you remove Passenger seat with dead motor?

cougarxr7

SCCoA Member
I got the front bolts out.
Seat is all the way back and has a dead motor.
No way to move it forward to gain access to the rear nuts.
Any help would be appreciated!

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Does the motor have any function at all...such as up down or energize when trying to engage?

I had a 95 with a stuck drivers seat it would life up nothing else . I was able to sit in the back seat and press all my weight on the base of the seat while my wife engaged the motor. It finally moved. The only other solution I had was cut the bolts from underneath the car as they show thru the floor pan.

-Tim

cougarxr7

SCCoA Member
Thanks for replying!
Tried what you suggested but that motor is locked.
I am going to try using a hydraulic jack to push the seat forward.
Let you know how it goes!

sam jones

Good evening

Try removing the 4 bolts that attach the bottom cushion to the frame. Not easily accessed with the transmission tunnel in the way. You will have to feel to find them. I believe they are 10mm. If the seat can be raised it will be easier. Suggest a long reach wrench hand ratchet. It will require some effort and leverage to break torque. With the bottom seat cushion out of the way remove the last rear bolt and nut from the frame to floor, disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the seat.

sam jones

Good evening

I should have address this procedure first. The seat motor isn't dead but the motor tracts are dry. Remove the bottom seat plastic rail covering. Use WD-40 and heavy duty bearing grease on the inner and outer tract. Select seat switch to the rear then forward. Do not sit in the seat as you do this. Push bottom seat cushion as you activate. You should hear the motor run and interior lights dim as the seat move slightly before it stops. That's because the seat motor circuit breaker open. That how much resistance the motor is fighting against the dry tracts. Wait @ 2 minutes and try again. If the seat starts to twist stop. Re-lube the tract and try again. The goal is to get the motor to move seat far enough to get to the bolt and nut. Be patient.

cougarxr7

SCCoA Member
Thanks for replying!
If the hydraulic jack cannot move the seat, then I will try those.

I do believe cutting those bolts head from under the car might be easier if necessary.
I will post pics of this.

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Giving me PTSD reading this...my situation was from a car that sat 10years ...moisture, corrosion and a gummy track. I hosed down the track with PB Blaster, white lithium etc. The carpet was trashed so I just let it fly. I think a tear ran down my cheek when it moved with brute force and luck .

In my situation I removed the seat back, seat trim and could not access all 4 of the cushion bolts.

I guess Ford never designed things in terms of failure.

Good luck again. Manual seat tracks are now on both drivers and passenger sides in all my SCs.

-Tim

cougarxr7

SCCoA Member
Update: The hydraulic jack idea work perfect, see pics.
There is no sound coming from the motor.
Now I can get to those nuts and find out!
Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 11