How many SCs were built? Continues to evolve!

Pat DiPersia

SCCoA Admin
I took pictures of any Marti reports that I found on cars at Carlisle. Quite a few had them, which was great. I've been tracking every option, paint/interior color, etc that I can from the reports.

One thing that's come up a few times now is how many SCs were really built? SCCoA had some numbers for a LONG time that were considered it. Over the years, with the Marti reports, we've found that the numbers we had were off (Or Marti's were.)

For example, for 1989, the SCCoA had 4768 and 8041 for automatics and manuals, respectively.

Using Marti reports over the years, I came to the numbers 4928 and 8014.

Well. . . One of the Marti reports in Carlisle this year (No idea when it was ordered) shows automatics at 4940! That's the first I've seen that number. Unfortunately, we'll probably never have an exact number.

Ralph's marti report on his 94 5spd makes no sense when it comes to total numbers...if you add up the values based on paint codes his is completely skewed for Red if memory serves me.

-Tim

Geez, you're right. I never paid attention to that. Looking at it right now - 753 with this paint code, 71 with this paint/trim code, 820 with this engine/trans code. His paint/trim is crimson clearcoat paint and mocha cloth/leather/vinyl seats.

Here's what I'm thinking - that paint code was used across more than just the SC. At the very least, it was used on the entire Thunderbird line. So it's possible 753 THUNDERBIRDS (Or Fords, in general) have that paint code. Whereas the 3.8l SC was only used in this car, so those numbers are closer to accurate because no other Ford used it, at least for 1994 (XR7 used it in '89-90, so those numbers could be off on a Marti report. . .)

Got me, I just remember him calling me when he got his report and asking me What the heck...

I over heard someone while walking at Carlisle and I think they said it best. Marti's entire deal is to get your car as close to 1 of 1 and if you get that extended report they can get you there y saying it was the only one built on a Thursday where they forgot 1 lug nut... you get the point.

Not sure they ever anticipated us to use it for total production...

-Tim

This may not be the correct forum to ask in, but I've scanned through most of them & never found a correct or verified #
of how many of the anniversary editions were 5 speed. My Marti reports show 6,753 "with these Engine/Transmission codes"
so that would be the total # of S/C's built in 90 with manual. I think I saw in a Hagerty Insurance story last year that there were
747? I've got 3 (2 even came from the same D.S.O.)

Doug - based on Marti reports, the 35th numbers I have are 792 and 2589 for 5-speeds and automatics, respectively.

Correct/verified? That I can't answer after what I've seen lately on the Marti's! But I'd like to think these numbers are close.

Thanks Pat, that figure sounds about right to me-I know there is no way to verify exactly.
That's very close to the Hagerty published report, so about 23%. I bought my 1st one from
the sales manager of the local dealer who placed the order Mar 7th & received it Apr 10th.
He told me only 147 5 speeds came to Canada, but I never trusted that # & have no idea where he
came up with that. Thanks again.

Pat, I thought we specifically asked Marti for the breakdown of Anniversary SCs between automatics and 5 speeds, so I would like to think those numbers are correct. But yeah, deciphering the numbers is a challenge. From my Anniversary Marti Report:

7,556 With this Paint Code
3,381 With these Paint/Trim Codes
6,753 With these Engine/Transmission Codes
767 Ordered from this DSO
13,533 With Power Moonroof

It seems to me, the Moonroof option has to be all Thunderbirds. Paint/Trim Code total of 3,381 should be all 35ths. The Engine/Transmission Code total of 6,753 would be all 1990 5 speed SCs

Pat, I thought we specifically asked Marti for the breakdown of Anniversary SCs between automatics and 5 speeds, so I would like to think those numbers are correct. But yeah, deciphering the numbers is a challenge. From my Anniversary Marti Report:

7,556 With this Paint Code
3,381 With these Paint/Trim Codes
6,753 With these Engine/Transmission Codes
767 Ordered from this DSO
13,533 With Power Moonroof

It seems to me, the Moonroof option has to be all Thunderbirds. Paint/Trim Code total of 3,381 should be all 35ths. The Engine/Transmission Code total of 6,753 would be all 1990 5 speed SCs

We did - but being as his production numbers have changed since I first saw a Marti report to now, I'm wondering what caused that change and how much else is incorrect now. I guess I could email him. . .

I posted 2 Marti reports for my anni edition's at the top of this forum. They both show 3,381 for this paint/trim code & 3,371 with the 35th anniversay package. Both figures should be the same, as that trim was only offered as pert of the anniversary package? Maybe the difference is pre production or promotional units?

Back