I'm Back - Abs Woes Again!!!

Stocker89,

The accumulator provides the pressurized fluid for use by the entire system...not just the rear brakes. The master cylinder does have pistons for the front brakes and they will work without the system being pressurized but with no power assist they are very hard to actuate. If the system is depresurized the rear brakes do not work at all since high pressure fluid is "ported" to the rear brakes internally through the "master cylinder". No pressure....no flow.

If the system is depressurized completely you will often puke out fluid from the reservior.

DUFFY,

You would know better than I would fer sure.

The point I am trying to make is. DEE keeps on whyning here and needs to take action . You can't take a service guys word that the ABS computer is not working. DEE will have to find out for sure. Then when you realilize it is working then you can pull the codes. If you get some codes then you can replace the sensors or the relays and connections . If there are no codes then break fluid is not getting everywhere in the system it is that simple. The right tools make all the difference . A volt and ohm meter , A code reader, A noid light. These tools will be helpful to establish that the ABS computer is getting power and the sensors and relays and the connection that go to them are all good.

After you establish that the ABS computer is working and all sensors and relays are getting power you can move on to find out why the system isn't charging and it is full of fluid. You might have to take off every break line to make sure it is clear and not obstructed. One thing is fer sure the problem won't fix itself.

If the ABS computer is fried then you have to get a good computer. The ABS is pretty much the same as any other break system . Only difference is when you smash the break pedal the ABS computer gets info from sensors then send a singal to the actuators to keep the wheels and break pads from locking up and going into skid. Abs does not even go to work until you smash the break pedal to stop fast.

Dee you say it is the same problem as before so HOW DID YOU FIX THE PROBLEM LAST TIME. Listen to Duffy and the rest of the boys they will walk you through the steps to the fix they have always pointed me in the right direction. well I am done and out GOOD LUCK

Re: DUFFY,

stocker 89 said:
You would know better than I would fer sure.

The point I am trying to make is. DEE keeps on whyning here and needs to take action . You can't take a service guys word that the ABS computer is not working. DEE will have to find out for sure. Then when you realilize it is working then you can pull the codes. If you get some codes then you can replace the sensors or the relays and connections . If there are no codes then break fluid is not getting everywhere in the system it is that simple. The right tools make all the difference . A volt and ohm meter , A code reader, A noid light. These tools will be helpful to establish that the ABS computer is getting power and the sensors and relays and the connection that go to them are all good.

After you establish that the ABS computer is working and all sensors and relays are getting power you can move on to find out why the system isn't charging and it is full of fluid. You might have to take off every break line to make sure it is clear and not obstructed. One thing is fer sure the problem won't fix itself.

If the ABS computer is fried then you have to get a good computer. The ABS is pretty much the same as any other break system . Only difference is when you smash the break pedal the ABS computer gets info from sensors then send a singal to the actuators to keep the wheels and break pads from locking up and going into skid. Abs does not even go to work until you smash the break pedal to stop fast.

Dee you say it is the same problem as before so HOW DID YOU FIX THE PROBLEM LAST TIME. Listen to Duffy and the rest of the boys they will walk you through the steps to the fix they have always pointed me in the right direction. well I am done and out GOOD LUCK

Sorry you think I'm WHINING, but when you are a GIRL that does restorations and work on older cars BY HERSELF, with a limited about of tools, AND isn't very familiar with newer cars, AND the shops have no idea what is going on (the SC has been to 4 different shops!!!), AND you are stone broke BECAUSE of the car problems, AND you are desperate for a ride to work, well, sometimes you gotta plead for some help. I TOOK ACTION on this ABS problem starting in November of last year, that is why I had the ABS rebuilt and had a SHOP put it on with no labor warranty because I wanted it remanufactured by Prior and not their facility. Money wasted! The second time it went out, I DROVE it to Prior Remanufacturing and they tested it. It was the switch. They took the unit off the car for me and replaced the switch. That's not something they usually do.

None of the shops that I know ever want to see the SC ever again. Prior Remanufacturing doesn't want to see it again either!!! NO ONE at the shops knows for sure about anything on this car. Not even the dealer!!! As for the computer, and of course anything else on this car, I DO NOT believe what any shop has to say. That's why I'm here! You guys have the greatest knowledge out there.

I have limited tools and no one to borrow from. I've got a test light and that's it. No OHM meter. I'm trying everything I know to do and gathering info. from anyone knowledgeable here on the board.

My mistake is wanting a new car (WS6) because I think I deserve it because I have no kids. I only buy cars I like and hang onto them for a long time. Thus, 4 cars in my fleet of junk.

So, anyone bothering to read all of this mess, hope you enjoyed it. And thank you to everyone that has listened to my WHINING and helped me with any info. you could provide. I don't give up easily and will keep pestering everyone here on the board for info. until I get this thing fixed. If I gave up easily, the SC would have been out of here a long time ago.

I'm going to try what Duffy says to the best of my girlie ability and see where that gets me. THANKS DUFFY and EVERYONE for your understanding. It is APPRECIATED!!!

Dee (short for Denise, a girls name) :rolleyes: :D

Dee I fully understand your dilema, please take my advice on this.
Listen to Duffy on this subject and pay NO attention to anyone else on this subject, the man knows what he is talking about.
I applaud your efforts and RESPECT you for them, not many girls would try to do anything about this problem as far as getting there own hands dirty.;)

Now heres where I get into trouble:
Stocker back off! You making that whining ******** coment was way off base. Theres enough postings on this site from you that would fall into the same catagory youre trying to put Dee into, so stop it and appologise. That was defenatly the pot calling the kettle black!!!:p

I Will Not Apoligize Mike38sc. Yes I do WHY . I also do something about the problem

The truth is Dee has other cars and needs to sale her SC so she can fix and drive her WS6.

I don't care if you are a girl. The fact that her SC has sat for 4 months and she has not even pulled any codes or checked to see if the ABS computer has power says it all She is a lazy girl who wants everything handed to her on a silver platter. Last time she had these problems she took it to a shop to have the work done. She didn't do the work herself so she got ripped off . She continues to look for a break man but doesn't have any money does she think she will barter some a** for the fix what is up with that . She will have to learn that If she don't want to get ripped off anymore she will have to do the work herself and have the self assurance it was done right. So get a good shop manuel and the right tools DEE and learn the system then get to work or save up and get ripped off again. My advice Dee is sell the super coupe use the money to have your WS6 fixed both problems solved and you will be happy.

I do all my own work work cause I can't afford a shop So I don't think I am the pot calling the kettle black. Dee clearly stated she would rather have someone else do the work on her super coupe and has taken it to 4 different shops we all know the shops will keep stealing her money as long as she lets them. This is why the SCCOA exsists to help the do it yourselfer . LOL

Then take some of you own advice stocker and sell your car because you had a 3 page post of you on here WHINING about your own problems and threatening to sell your own car only to end up NOT following through with it, so yes you are the pot calling the kettle black!:p

Yes this board and the club are here to help people and for the most part thats what happens. But I dont see how what you did can be called help. Solve some of your own problems FIRST then come back and PREACH!!!:p :rolleyes:

I don't think it's cool to look down on people who either can't or choose not to workon their SC themselves every single time. There are many legitimate reasons why a person may not be able to do work themselves, such as

a. lack of appropriate location (garage, driveway, etc.)

b. lack of appropriate tools.

c. lack of expertise.
It is one thing to grab a wrench and tackle bolt-ons, plugs/wires, etc., but delving into a sophisticated abs system is a bit challenging for most. Why take a chance on screwing up and finding out at 70 mph when you need it most? And yet she is willing to work on the problem herself at this point, but she is taking the intelligent route by seeking expert advise first...

No body likes a "DIY or sell it" snob! ;)

Sorry Dee

Dee,

Sorry about the bad advice...didn't know the older birds were that different. Thanks for the info Duffy.

Stocker 89 - It is always easier to throw rocks than lend a hand...huh? If you don't like reading Dee's woe's and don't wish to help it's real easy - LOG OFF! She's having a tuff time with her situation right now and the last thing she needs is some nimrod giving her crap...back off Dude.

Duffy - Does the vacuum boost play any part in these type of problems? How do the pump motor and vacuum boost work together in this system?

Dee - hang in there...most of us are wishing you good luck!

DEE,

Your problem sounds to me like an electrical problem still. Do you have a voltmeter? What part of DFW do you live in? I live in Coppell and work in Arlington if that helps. I might be able to help out if you can't track it down.

And uhhh... Duffy isn't the only source of Teves II knowledge, unlike some might lead you to believe. ;) He's just the one who probably knows it best.

Mike,

Unlike the Mark IV system you have, the Mark II uses an ABS pump to "create" pressurization of brake fluid which is stored in the Accumulator which is then used for power assist and to provide rear braking action so there is no Vac. Booster to provide that assist. If the system depresurizes you have no assist and NO rear brakes.

In your Mark IV system you have a Vacuum Booster to make that power assist for you. You have no accumulator but rather when an anti-lock situation is detected the pump comes on and provides pressurization of brake fluid for system operation. The pump is located near the ABS Manifold in the driver's side fender under the battery area.

Hey guys! Thanks for the help. I'm going to try everything I can this weekend and see where it gets me. I'll get this thing fixed one way or another!!!

As for stocker 89. Sorry guy, but this girl isn't lazy and I've been working on cars as a hobby for the last 20 years. I persist and ask questions until I learn (even if it takes away everyone else's last nerve). After I learn something, people ask me for advice.

Most of the time I don't have fingernails, have never had anything handed to me on a silver platter and expect nothing from anyone except some helpful advice if they can offer it and then I give the same in return.

Sometimes you got to have thick skinned to play with the boys and their toys. I've been playing and with my toys for years now up against the boys and their toys and have no trouble getting along with anyone.

By the time I'm done with this ABS, I'll be giving you directions on how to fix your SC Mr. Stocker 89 AND will give YOU advice freely even if you are WHINNING. I have respect for anyone that asks questions in any form except when someone is being rude.

We all have one thing in common here, our SC. Let's be civil, ok? If I was just some common girlie, I wouldn't have bought this car in the first place 9 years ago and kept it this long, with all the problems it's given me, now would I?

Thanks again guys!
Dee

TbirdSCFan said:
DEE,

Your problem sounds to me like an electrical problem still. Do you have a voltmeter? What part of DFW do you live in? I live in Coppell and work in Arlington if that helps. I might be able to help out if you can't track it down.

And uhhh... Duffy isn't the only source of Teves II knowledge, unlike some might lead you to believe. ;) He's just the one who probably knows it best.

You've got a PM.

Dee

So 89 BLK SC TX

What happend did you get your ABS woes fixed or not? Did you end up taking it to another shop?

My car is still sitting in the driveway I don't even want to work on it it is so cold might be down for the next 6 months The thing still won't idle but I haven't tried to fix it yet I ended up in the middle of a complete tune up only half way there and it is freezing. I tried to sell it nobody wants to buy it. I figure as soon as I get it up and rolling I will run my ABS codes for the first time ever. Did you get any codes Dee?

Yeah Mduralia It is eaiser to throw the cash at it and have sombody else do the dirty work. You are the one who needs to log off cause you don't even no what you are talking about "sorry about the bad advice Dee " so who is the nimrod now .

Joenintiesc I am not looking down on anyone . But honestly anything that cost more in labor to have fixed than it is worth. Probably doesn't need to be around anymore . Money rules so If you are not going to work your car yourself then you better sell it and get your self a down payment and some credit . So you got something that is under warrenty runs good and is gonna last. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!

I checked to make sure everything was getting power. Everything had power, so determined the pump is out. Been driving it without power brakes. Have built up some good leg muscles. Had a discussion with Prior Remanufacturing and will be going up to their place early tomorrow morning for them to rectify the problem since I shouldn't be having these problems with the system. So, should have brakes again tomorrow, I hope.

I'm sure you've tried cleaning out your idle air control or replacing it since you're having idling problems. I had the same problem even after doing a scheduled tune up, so I replaced the IAC. Simple fix. Ran good until the MAS went bad too.

I'm keeping my old cars because I can fix them myself. I can whip the engines out of my Skylark and Z28, rebuild 'em and throw 'em back in, no problem. I can fix my own brake problems, etc. without dealing with "codes" and "sensors". I use my brain to diagnose the problem and fix 'em. I should have never bought the WS6 and put all the money into my 2 old cars because I could have had a show quality Skylark and a nice Z28 race car for the amount I've invested in the new car! And I would have been the one to do the work on them, not pay someone! ;) Still keeping the SC around because I LIKE IT!! Isn't that why we keep and invest our time and effort into our cars, because we like them?

Dee

:)

Ok. You've all been waiting for it. What was wrong with the ABS unit? Same thing as before!!!

THE PUMP MOTOR WAS BAD!!! AGAIN!!!

Please pray that this stupid thing doesn't go out again on me! I know enough about the ABS unit to NOT have to whine on here anymore. :D

Thanks everyone!
Dee

Thanks for coming back and reporting what the problem was. Alot of time we never hear how things worked out.
Your repeated problems with the ABS has convinced me more than ever to convert my bird to std power brakes.
Thanks.:)

What did Prior have to say about it? I wonder how often this hppens with there reman units- yours out of 500..., or more often?:confused:

Were they helpful in solving your problem and are you happy with the outcome?

Glad you finally solved it!:D

Back