Intermittent horn honking

Birdman197093

I've experienced recently on My 93 SC with 62,000 mi. intermittent honking of the horn. I have to shut it down & restart to quiet it. A local Ford dealer couldn't get it to act up while in their possession , so no help there. thank you.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
That is unusual. Horn circuit has battery power or is hot at all times. Shutting off ignition should have no effect on it.

Do you have a alarm (factory or aftermarket)? Maybe its being partially enabled.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
I suspect that may be where your issue is. I'm not real familier with the alarm though.
Maybe others here would have a suggestion?

Birdman197093

It has happened 3 times in the 6 wks., 2 times it quit on its own, the other, I shut the car off & when I turned it back on ,no honking. there is no honking when I use turn signals. I was at a car club meeting tonight & one guy mentioned a horn relay as the possible cause. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I assume the SC has a relay & if YES. where is it located?

sam jones

Good evening

As Dough H stated suspect the alarm module. Troubleshot a 1993 auto with a issue similar to yours advancing to the point of horn/light flashing event. Replaced module to fix problem.

Note. I opened the original module to find the circuit card lightly covered with dust. Open yours and take a look. Try electrical cleaner (CRC QD) on the circuit card and connectors.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Cycling the ignition on & off would not stop it or have any effect if the issue was in steering wheel, colunm or horn contacts or dash wiring as the horn circuit has battery power at all times, not ignition power. I still suspect the issue is with the factory alarm & thats what is grounding the horn relay. Turning the key off & back on is reseting the the system.

KMT

Also, cycling the key works the multi-wire ignition switch down on the right side of the steering column. These are prone to come apart with use, and if your's is original, I'd replace it regardless...less than $20 as I recall. Search here on the replacement process.