Is dash removal required - 94/95 SC related

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Figured I'd ask here first before I pull the dash and add more work than I want. I've pulled several dashes so its not really that daunting but if I can avoid doing so and save time be worth it.

Some while ago the yellow vacuum hose was pulled off the blend door actuator on my 95. I believe a radio install somehow snagged the hose, and the tension pulled it from the inner working of the hvac box. Because of this the heating and air only blow from either the defrost/foot setting. Now that i have my car back after a long process of repairs I'm fixing all the other items that can't be seen on the surface.

I've attached the schematics from the repair manual. The yellow hose was dangling freely on the drivers side of the dash. So I'm assuming the attachment is drivers side.

Is dash removal avoidable or no way around this.

-Tim

Attachments

• 20220405_140103.jpg
    20220405_140103.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 8
Can you see both ends of the hose? You could repair it with rubber hose rubbing. If you can’t find the other end….well

One end connects to the climate control . The other is what connects to the actuator on the HVAC under dash box. The hose itself isn't spliced or broken just not attached.

-Tim

On my 97 lx which would be the closet thing that I own to your 94 it's a pain but it can be reached if you pull the instrument cluster and I think the radio trim the large piece that goes all the way up to the clock also the knee panel on the drivers side I believe you can get to it but it isn't easy so if it's broken I doubt you'd have enough room to repair the line but if it just pulled loose maybe depends on the size of your hands I'm 6ft tall but I have ridiculously small hands for my size I'm like the old burger King commercial... "but these tiny hands!" I'll see if I can dig up and pics I've taken when I had the dash out

I currently have the entire dash gutted for a radio install and led bulb swap in the cluster. Also finally found the page that shows the inner workings a little more.

Looks unavoidable. Middle back of the dash from what I can see here.

-Tim

Attachments

• 16492696223987478606154662906389.jpg
    16492696223987478606154662906389.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7
The 94/95 may be slightly different from the 97 I'm not sure on that but I can definitely get too mine it's not easy but it's possible when I had mine out I forgot to plug it back in and it was a pain but I did manage to get it plugged back in with removing the dash again... But again there may be slight differences between yours and mine I had a 94 at one point but that was so long ago I certainly don't remember how that was it got wrecked in 05

I guess I will snake my head under the dash and see what I can come up with. Drivers seats currently removed to run wires for amps.

Hopefully its reachable like you're suggesting. Fingers crossed.

-Tim

Definitely easier I would think without the seat in there instead of being upside down your more or less laying on your back

Alright so updates. You can get to the actuator/solenoid without pulling the dash however the room to attach the grommet to the port is pretty much impossible.

So this led me to digging around. It appears my dash has been here before and someone spliced another yellow line that this grommet connection fits onto. Saved the day. Probably a simple solution to make sure lines were where they needed to be after some sort of repair.

Figured I'd post for those that may ever search this. Seems my problem's diverted. Currently my engines apart for an alternator rebuild...so once everything buttoned up ill verify i have vacuum with a running engine to change where air flows.

-Tim

Attachments

• 20220406_181448.jpg
    20220406_181448.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220406_181419.jpg
    20220406_181419.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220406_175334.jpg
    20220406_175334.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220406_175200.jpg
    20220406_175200.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 14
Awesome glad you got it without pulling the dash... Also nice when someone else's misfortune comes to help out in the future

Put the engine back together fired things up, no change, still just defrost and feet..

Reading the trouble shooting section its suggesting the black hose is the issue now if vent doesn't change selection. From what I can tell the black vacuum hose enters the engine bay near the dryer on the firewall. Everything's good there and hooked up correctly.

Well...least it motivated me to get the engine work done (shrugs).

-Tim

Well default or no vacumm would be defrost only so you must be getting at least partial vacuum my work truck and both tbirds have had vacuum issues and all 3 went to defrost only 90sc 97lx and 12 e150

Back