Is it possible to pull 5.0 oil pan on the 91-92 models while still in the engine bay .

351tt

Anyone with experience with this ? .
I have to install an oil drain fitting on the pan for the turbo , trying to avoid pulling the engine , but can be done if needed.. unfortunately this will then encourage further mods like heads etc that I really should not be putting on this engine.
Thank you.
Dave.

If you support the engine and lift it slightly, you can drop the subframe and let it hang from the ball joints, and that should give you enough room to sneak the oil pan down and out.

Thank you MadMikey , I figured that was the last resort , hoping to not have to support the engine to undo the sub frame .... don't want to mess up the fresh engine bay paint etc .
Was hoping someone has had experience in getting it out with possibly jacking the engine up off the mounts enough to get the pan down and back .. possibly wishful thinking ... compared to the rest of the custom turbo build its not that big of a deal , just trying to avoid c rap I don't have to do .

I have had to replace an oil pump in mine once years ago, was able to get just enough room to do that by just lifting the motor as high as it would go but the pan was no where near coming out at that point though. The pickup tube is the main thing that gets in the way.

I've heard that you can tap into bottom of timing cover for turbo/supercharger oil drain?
Sounds simpler, but not something I'm familier with.

I have had to replace an oil pump in mine once years ago, was able to get just enough room to do that by just lifting the motor as high as it would go but the pan was no where near coming out at that point though. The pickup tube is the main thing that gets in the way.
Thanks Adam for your input , looks like the cross member needs to drop or just pull the engine and do a few upgrades at the same time .. turbo will be low boost, maybe 7-10lbs tops [ at this point ] , just for a bit more fun driving it .

I've heard that you can tap into bottom of timing cover for turbo/supercharger oil drain?
Sounds simpler, but not something I'm familier with.
Thanks Doug , I have the turbo fairly low on the passenger side so not enough natural drop for it drain properly at that point .. would have been much simpler .

I pulled the pan , but to do it as MadMikey said, I had to drop the K member ... process was , use an over the frame/fender rails engine support sitting on the upper shock towers with small pcs of plywood to protect the paint , put a bit of pull on the adjustment hangers to keep it in its original position, undid the engine horizontal bolts , put a tranny jack under the K member , undid the eight 6 point K member bolts , the steering stem bolt for the slider section , the steering cooler lines hold down clamp screws just to let it all float so no strain on them , the bottom bolts on the struts and I think that was it to be able to slowly drop the K member down .. it took quite a bit of drop , guessing 5+ inches as I didn't lift the engine up from its normal position ... just something to be mindful of is the lines , brake , steering etc .. also undid the ground strap that runs to the passenger side of the block to the K member and the starting point was no fan / shroud and air pump , that stuff was already off.
If I can think of anything else I will post it later.
For a bit of a reference now having gone threw the process it should take under 1.5 hours using a hoist and taking your time to get the pan out ... and guessing a bit more to put it all back in .
I will try to post some pics on the process .

Back