Just purchased new pump for Teves

Kevin92

SCCoA Member
Hello all, I just purchased a brand new pump for my Teves brake system. My old one stopped working, will it work if I replace the pump?

Attachments

• 20210908_140115.jpg
    20210908_140115.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 15

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
If you have already verified that power supply & grounds to the motor are good & that the motor/pump is at fault, then yes it should. I've never had a motor/pump failure on any of mine. Its always been a electrical issue- pressure switch, relay or fuse/breaker.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
The proper Ford manuals for your particular year as there may be some variations 89-92
The EVTM is your best bet.

Kevin92

SCCoA Member
I threw away the ABS computer a while ago, will the Teves still work without it. I dont need ABS. Where is the pressure switch and relay located?

Attachments

• 1631219503949208882733706525599.jpg
    1631219503949208882733706525599.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 5

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
If you look at the upper left of the diagram you posted, you'll answer your own question.

Pump will not work without the brake ECU. It turns on the antilock relay, which then controls or sends power to the pump motor relay. Pump motor relay is right rear of engine compartment-attached to rear of strut tower. Near A/C accumulator. The press switch is in the new pump assy you posted pic of. Think in pic there is a plastic protective cap over the connector.

Good luck.

KMT

I dont need ABS.
Then you don't need that pump ;)

Search on brake booster swap/conversion, then. Some outfits supply kits now I think. If you want to DIY, there should be alot of info/discussiion here, but as noted, that new pump/motor does you zero good without a complete system, including an ABS module.

I'd also imagine you might not have much trouble, depending on price, finding someone here to buy that new pump off you.

Good luck.

35th

I couldn't say for certain but when I bought my 90 in the trunk was a box of extra parts and there was an abs computer in it but never had an issue with the one in the car so is it any good your guess is as good as mine but I do have an extra one

Kevin92

SCCoA Member
I just got to return the pump, I thought it was the whole assembly when I purchased it. I just got to buy a brake booster for a 92 base model.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
A LX master cylinder, brake lines & proportioning valve will be needed as well ? Not just the booster

I'm not sure if a master cylinder for a base model which is set up for drum brakes on rear ( displaces more fluid, but less pressure) will work on your rear disc brakes( less displacement needed, but more pressure)

Others on here should be able to tell you more, as I said I'm not sure.

Good luck.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
I think what Kevin bought was a pump/motor assy only for a Buick Reatta (may fit other G.M's also)
The pressure switch is turned 90 degree's to what XR-7 & S/C's use.

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I think what Kevin bought was a pump/motor assy only for a Buick Reatta (may fit other G.M's also)
The pressure switch is turned 90 degree's to what XR-7 & S/C's use.
Don't think so, it looks identical to the one I bought many years ago.

Attachments

• C937E515-90FE-4A27-A1E9-5EBA06092EED.jpeg
    C937E515-90FE-4A27-A1E9-5EBA06092EED.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7
  • A183F3AA-6AFE-4D67-A12A-3D19A2C32F84.jpeg
    A183F3AA-6AFE-4D67-A12A-3D19A2C32F84.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
I see what you're saying David. The pic in his 1st post does look the same as your pic.
I must be thinking of someone else that I had a conversation with that was trying to use
a Teves pump/motor from a Buick. My mistake.
Doug