Leaking clutch fluid reservoir

Rick_Leuce

Hello,
I’m about to drive my 1991 SC 5-speed on a long road trip. However, I am concerned about how fast my clutch fluid reservoir is leaking. I believe it leaks whenever I press the clutch pedal in, it doesn't seem to leak when the car is just sitting there. It’s gotten to the point that I don’t bother reinstalling the little flexible black rubber piece after refilling with Dot 3 brake fluid since it displaces so much of the reservoir. If I drive the car to and from town (15-minute drive each way) more than two times, it will run out of fluid. It’s a little scarry when I’m trying to park and the car suddenly lurches when I’m trying to slowly release the clutch and I barely lifted my foot.
I should note that the clutch reservoir has always seemed to leak a little bit. However its gone from needing a topoff every couple of months to practically needing more fluid after every drive (unless the black rubber thing is removed, then I can probably go a week).
It’s difficult to tell where the leak is coming from.

Is this a common issue?

Is it a terrible idea to put some brake fluid or clutch fluid with stop-leak in it?

Thanks in advance,
Rick Leuce

35th

Tbsc.com lots of used super coupe parts on there I've seen clutch fluid resivors on there you could get rid of the need to add stop leak which I would imagine would clog up your master or slave cylinder or at the very least mess up the seals and the slave on out cars is internal meaning the transmission has to come out to change it

Rick_Leuce

Tbsc.com lots of used super coupe parts on there I've seen clutch fluid resivors on there you could get rid of the need to add stop leak which I would imagine would clog up your master or slave cylinder or at the very least mess up the seals and the slave on out cars is internal meaning the transmission has to come out to change it
Ok, I wont use stop leak. I’m not sure replacing the clutch fluid reservoir alone will solve the problem. It doesn't seem to leak when the car is off. I think I’m losing fluid whenever I press the clutch pedal, or maybe Im losing fluid while the car is running. The reservoir only seems to go down after a drive.
I just realized that whenever I hold down the clutch in my 1991, I hear a noise that I dont think I hear in my other two 5-speeds. I’ll try to record it later.
Thank you.

35th

A noise would be either master cylinder or slave cylinder I would think I'd climb under the car and see if you can find the leak maybe have a 2nd person press the clutch while your under it