Lets Write it Up

jleopold

Hey guys...

If this has not already happened...

How about we start our own repair book... one where we have the "real" way to fix our cars...

From the simple... like how to detail the interior... to the difficult like installing a fuel pump, or putting in a new alternator...

I would help with transferring the post in to MSword or whatever... and with digital cameras... we can all submit a good photo of the repair in question...

it would certainly give us something to do !

We have asked for assistance on this several times with little or no response. We would be very interested in someone writing up how-tos or other interesting topics with pictures. These could be displayed in our FAQ forum as posts or "pdf" files to be printed.

If you are willing to do the work on this, get it together and send them to me at the address below and we will review them and post them up in our FAQ forum.

How about we start our own repair book... one where we have the "real" way to fix our cars...

You mean like pouring a Bottle of junk into the engine to Fix a Blown Head Gasket, and then disregard all of the information everybody has already posted on this board ??? Great idea. :rolleyes:

- Dan

You mean like pouring a Bottle of junk into the engine to Fix a Blown Head Gasket, and then disregard all of the information everybody has already posted on this board ??? Great idea. :rolleyes:

- Dan

Great!! Do you have that in a PDF format so nobody can edit it?

our cars r known for vaccum leaks...why dont i go out tommorow and take the pictures of known vacuum leaking spots with name stating on them ? :D

- Dan

Yep Dan... I mean like pouring a bottle of junk into the engine to fix a blown head gasket so I can keep the car running. Yes... you're right... that is exactly what I mean... I was thinking of just that idea... OH ... and can we get the ideas that are really good... like the ones where guys start on cars and they never really look like they will get finished... you know the stuff where they write about their half fixed junker that has-half fixed junker sibling cars...3-5 different colors of paint etc... ya send those too... OH... and don't for get the good stuff including the quips, insults and downtalking part...EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE TALKED DOWN TO... OOHHH wait...also include the tasty stuff we need like the constant online bickering that just kills the fun of learning about cars...the trial and error and the simple joy of having a hobby but its killed off by the Ghost-of-Online-Past --- Rattling his chains of doom... we can put that in the section labeled... "in case you love your car but you don't have any money right now...these are some good hold over ideas..." --- section ...

... Now you had to know I that was coming... Right ? You had to as least thought to yourself... "if I say something about that RxAuto stuff... John just might respond..." --- you had too... anybody who knows you ---including you --- knows you would do that right ??? --- then you and anyone who knows you, also knows eventually a response might occur...

Okay so outside of my Rant to Dan... and only I can do that because he's a NorCal guy and we give each other crap all the time... ( no jumping in on Dan)

Yes... I'm good to work on it... seems like a worthy cause and it could turn into a cult classic book or something...

Heck Wikipedia does it all the time... what the difference...

Topic Chapters:

1)Head Gasket repair and way to prevent it from happening on the older SC's
2) Brakes -- upgrades, simple fixed etc
3) In & Out --- getting the car to breath just right...
4) Bolt On's
5) Non- On's

More...

- Dan

BTW... I blew it again racing the car 2 weeks ago... 110mhp in a 20 year old salvage car ... zipping down open Hwy 5 will do it...

I am definitely willing to take pictures and do write-ups of any modifications/repairs I do in the future if they can be kept somewhere where fellow SCers can use them.

it wouldnt take much. just someone with some wiki knowledge, and lots of time to post the articles.

sccoa could then publish a book based on the wiki, as people dont always have computers in their garages! :cool:

i would be glad to write up a few howtos if anyone has some to submit, i could revise and put them in step-by-step format, with pix if you have them. :)

submit any you'd like me to revise in word format to sinhumane@gmail.com

that is a great idea...

I can do photos too... photoshop them... add call outs etc.
I think one of the things that can be frustrating is not knowing the "secrets"

for example... I had to fix my brakes and I did a ton of stuff... changed the pressure reserve unit ( that funny ball thing) new fluid, tons of stuff...
then I found out it was water in the pump relay switch that is under the windshield wiper pastic deck... I took the deck off to paint it... it rained for a week before I put it back on... the water ran into the relay tree and killed the relay... only $200 after the fact...
That is a secret ...

like i said, if anyone has the articles finished, i can start revising them and creating step by steps... :)

Call me selfish, but wouldn't is be better to have something like this restricted to club access and not public availability of wiki?

why not? the miata turbo wiki is free to everyone. should be that way, paying or non. would keep people from clogging up the tech and non tech sections with unneccesarry reposts.

personally, if i had the knowhow to make it look good and all streamlined, i would gladly. basically make it an option to donate to sccoa via paypal at the wiki site, and purchase a book of the projects and writeups.

this is a good idea and all. but what about mitchell/all-data, haynes and chilton books. maybe this should be for modifications/interior cleaning tips. or cosmetic stuff. or even how-to's. like, how to get cheap hp. or how to improve 1/4 mile times. or how to detail your car, etc.. also, the how-NOT-to's..thats a good idea too..as long as people aren't sarcastic. well..if they're sarcastic, at least make it funny..:D

Back