McGuyver a way to remove a front sway bar?

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
The local wrecking yard got in a 90 SC and I'd like to get the front bar, but:

-They don't allow hydraulic jacks
-The car is resting on stands directly underneath the front K-member (behind the bar), so dropping the K-member doesn't seem like an option

With these constraints, how would you get the bar out? Is using a sawzall to cut a channel in the K-member and just drop the bar straight out the bottom the only option? Or does that seem like a bad idea (I mean, I'd rather not be underneath the car while doing that...)?

Cutting through the subframe itself is going to be difficult. I would remove the k-member bolts in front of the sway bar, then sawzall through the frame rails right behind the sway bar and cut the whole damn nose off the thing. If you want to be nice about it (or if you actually want the parts) you could pull off the fenders and front bumper cover first, but if you just want the quickest way to get it out, just cut right through everything. The front sheet metal cuts a lot faster than the thick metal used in the subframe!

You should be able to lower the K member (special socket?) and take it out from the front. Besides, most yards also don't allow sawzalls.

Sorry, missed that. Maybe the yard could be persuaded to re-position the stands...

Around here, they let us use a mobile A-frame with a chain hoist to pull engines. If your yard has something similar, you could use it to lift the front end long enough to gain access, then set it back down.

This seems a bit excessive and probably dangerous for just a sway bar, maybe post your location [ city/town ] , someone may have one available close by .

My local yard if you're interested in a part thats not accessible because of stand placement you just let them know and they readjust the car. Again its advantageous to them to sell the parts and make as much possible prior to crushing the car.

Any chance you could do this at your location?

-Tim

I can check on whether they'll reposition the car, but I have my doubts. Especially for a ~$35 part.

Rich, I may be willing to buy one eventually, but the shipping cost will probably exceed the cost of the part at the yard, plus obviously whatever you'd want for the bar itself.

Catching up on some other suggestions:

They do have the big A-frames for engine removals, so that's a possibility.

This yard allows sawzalls, just no air-powered or flame cutting tools.

Maybe use the A-frame to lift the car off the jack stands and move them to under the front frame rails, then lower the car down on the jack stands, and use the A-frame to support the engine while you drop the subframe. Of course I think all this will take more time than just sawzalling the nose off.

Back