My car appears on TV!...

Kit Sullivan

This week's episode of 'Two Guys Garage' featured my car on it.

No, not the 35th Anniversary Super Coupe, but it was a Ford: My 1971 Mustang Mach 1, 429 Cobra Jet w/ Ram-Air.

The car looked great on TV, I think. Plus its just cool to get your ride on national TV.

Attachments

• TGG visit #2(6-26-07) 016.jpg
    TGG visit #2(6-26-07) 016.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 129
Hey, all that Challenger really needed was a fat tune-up by someone with some old muscle-car Carter AFB-carb knowledge.
It was meticulously restored and they did a fine job on it. I would love to have that car sitting next to the Fords in my 'garage-mahal'.

Hey, all that Challenger really needed was a fat tune-up by someone with some old muscle-car Carter AFB-carb knowledge.
It was meticulously restored and they did a fine job on it. I would love to have that car sitting next to the Fords in my 'garage-mahal'.

I could put the hurt on that Challenger if they brought it over to my house. I still have my Carter AFB Strip Kit, and I know how to use it (check the air bleeds). I can also actually set mechanical breaker points correctly - how many of us can still do that? (But, I'm sure they converted the Challenger to electronic ignition - the sissies). My 67 R/T still has it's original AFB and points ignition, because that's how it was built. I think it's fun to fart with carbs and points...

JD

I used to own a beat up 73 Challenger 318 slapstick auto, and I've always wanted a 70-72 Challenger with a 426 hemi and a 4 speed. Should have bought one 20 years ago before the prices got so high.

David

...I'm sure they converted the Challenger to electronic ignition - the sissies.
JD

Actually, they didn't. It was still the points-fired ignition in the car. In fact, it was as completely original as they could make it, tires being the obvious change.
They even had an 'original' battery...one of those expensive reproductions. Too bad they killed it repeatadly trying to start it.
After that,they they tried jumping it and the jumper cables scarred up the nice and pristine original battery cable clamps real good.
So, they just took the battery out and replaced it with one from a truck sitting in the lot.
I'll bet the owners at Paddock will be pissed when they see those cable clamps.

Back in the day I owned a 70 Hemi Cuda auto :) Sorry I dont have it now.:( It was the most fun I have ever had with my pants on. I still have heel prints in my butt from kicking myself for selling it. Good news was I made a grand when I sold it in 1974:mad:

Is that the guy that did "Shade Tree Mechanic"?

That's the guy. First it was Shade Tree Mechanic.

Then for a little while it was "Crank and Chrome"

For a while now it's been "Two Guys Garage", although the 2nd guy (Dave Bowman) is no longer on it. For a while there was a different Dave, but now he's gone too. Sam has been the one constant...

MY GOD that Mustang has been my dream car since it came out and I was 9 years old!!! (I was a Ford nut even then). Closest I ever came was a Red 73 Mustang Coupe with a 302. I loved that car...

Back in the day I owned a 70 Hemi Cuda auto :) Sorry I dont have it now.:( It was the most fun I have ever had with my pants on. I still have heel prints in my butt from kicking myself for selling it. Good news was I made a grand when I sold it in 1974:mad:

Yeah, I sold my 70 'Cuda 440+6 automatic for $2500 back in 82. Thought I got a good price for it, too...

Who knew?

JD

Well, it ain't quite as casual a process as it looks. The director had me move the Mustang about 5 times until it was in just the 'right place'.
There isn't much chance that he would not notice a Super Coupe 'accidentally' parked in the background.

Now, there is a chance we can do better! With the new paint job, my Super Coupe is quite a looker and pretty photogenic. Its also all stock, which is the only kind of car they will use on that show. Even nice aftermarket wheels and tires don't make it on that show.
My SC needs a few things: Suspension bushings, some A/C work, and seat covers.
If I can somehow get a vendor to sponsor a segment buy supplying the necessary parts to do the work and throw a little 'sponsor money' at the show, I can probably get them to use the SC as a 'feature car'.

I'm working on it!

Well, it ain't quite as casual a process as it looks. The director had me move the Mustang about 5 times until it was in just the 'right place'.
There isn't much chance that he would not notice a Super Coupe 'accidentally' parked in the background.

Now, there is a chance we can do better! With the new paint job, my Super Coupe is quite a looker and pretty photogenic. Its also all stock, which is the only kind of car they will use on that show. Even nice aftermarket wheels and tires don't make it on that show.
My SC needs a few things: Suspension bushings, some A/C work, and seat covers.
If I can somehow get a vendor to sponsor a segment buy supplying the necessary parts to do the work and throw a little 'sponsor money' at the show, I can probably get them to use the SC as a 'feature car'.

I'm working on it!

If I were you I would supply the parts myself and talk to one of our venders about "sponsoring" you and maybe giving you a discount on a couple things. It's all about getting on TV. lol Your other car is sweet looking.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't have a problem supplying the parts on my own dime, but that show (as all others like it) run on sponsorship money...and it takes a LOT of it.
For instance, the Paddock supplied the car and the parts to demonstrate the door panel replacement segment and they got a good on-air mention of course.
The Paddock also had to pay something around $5,000 sponsorship for that 7-minute segment. I ain't got that kinda' money to toss around just to get my car on TV!

But...if I can get the parts donated, and some $$$ from a vendor, they will get a good on-air mention about their company name.

Maybe I should work on those replacement seat-cover places...they may like the attention they get.
If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Back