New Griffin Radiator

BirdofPrey97

Looking to purchase a Griffin for myself, so I wanted to ask if others were interested.

The model I am purchasing is 8-00278 w/o tranny lines and 8-70278 w tranny lines. These are the new model and numbers for 89-93. The older model 7-290BJ-FXX had 1" tubing and the new model has 1.25" tubing. It is a 2 row as well.

Specs can be found here: http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details9.php?PartID=488&key_id=8-00278&year=1999&make=Ford&model=360

The current ship to your door price is $619.00 if you live in the lower 48. The lead time is 2 weeks. This is the price for me to purchase 1.

For the 94-95 guys its 8-00257 w/o tranny lines and 8-70257 w tranny lines. These are a direct fit, so there may be some mods that need to occur. http://www.griffinrad.com/details2c.php?key_id=8-70257&db=parts1&partno=PartNumber

If anyone else is interested in one the price will get below what is listed above, but I wanted to put the worst case scenario up so no one is disappointed.

This info is directly from Griffin's site:

With a double focus on precision and performance, the ExactFit products install exactly the same as the OEM component. They offer all of the required mounting tabs, brackets, and spuds to ensure a seamless installation without any cutting, bending, or special tools. Optimal performance is achieved by the use of two rows of Griffin exclusive MegaCool 1.25 inch tubing or one row of Griffin exclusive ExtremeCool 1.50 inch tubing. The wider tube widths used in this product line create a greater amount of surface area in the same amount of space. This allows the product to far exceed the performance of the common two row 1.00 inch radiators. Constructed of only the best AA3003 aluminum, these new products are a step above the rest in both purity and design. Backed by the industries best two year warranty and no special coolant requirements, the new Exact Fit radiators are the top of the line. The ExactFit series aluminum radiators are the easiest to install, provide the best OEM appearance, and offer superior cooling performance. Custom electric fan and aluminum shrouds are available for most ExactFit products.

Sticking with our American heritage and our ongoing initiative to provide Made in the USA products, this new series will be made exclusively at our 330,000 Sq. Ft. manufacturing facility in Piedmont, South Carolina.

If you are interested let me know which model you need. Final pricing will be communicated before any money exchanges hands.

With an Order of 5 the 00278 & 00257 would be $610 shipped to the lower 48

70278 & 70257 would be $665 shipped to the lower 48.

Last edited:
Any idea what group buy pricing might be? I may be interested but not at their current price since it's cheaper and easy enough for me to get a generic aluminum radiator from say jegs for a much cheaper price. I know they make great quality products which I like but having a hard time with the current price to be honest.

Thanks for trying to put this together as well as several others you have done.

Last edited:
The new units are more expensive then the previous model.

I would expect the local vendor prices to go up once they have gotten rid of the older model.

If you have a jegs part number please let me know as I want a cheaper version as well. This will be purchased through a local mom and pop parts shop out of NC. I don't have a discount price currently. She wanted me to bring her a number and she would get a lower price, but it depends on the number. There will be a break at 5 and a larger one at 10, but I do not know at this time how much. Summit has this radiator for 619 shipped to the lower 48 right now, so no the 619 isn't a great deal that's why trying to get a GB going and go from there. If the 619 is too much but close to what you would spend then get on the list and let me know which unit.

RIP OFF !!!!!
i guarantee my knock off rad i got cools just as well as a griffen, fits better and utilizes all the stock stuff...o ya, and it was only 100$ shipped to my door..
want info on it? pm me and i can find my order and give you the company and part number..this new rad took my engine temps from running on the M in norm and now it sits below the N while driving and barely hits the N when in park and idle..

RIP OFF !!!!!
i guarantee my knock off rad i got cools just as well as a griffen, fits better and utilizes all the stock stuff...o ya, and it was only 100$ shipped to my door..
want info on it? pm me and i can find my order and give you the company and part number..this new rad took my engine temps from running on the M in norm and now it sits below the N while driving and barely hits the N when in park and idle..

I am interested in another one that will work. I did send you a pm about the radiator before creating this post, but never received a response. Please send the info you have on another brand.

This Griffin will do what I need and it's available, so it's the best there is to go off of at this time. No, it's not cheap, but it does perform and is made within the USA. The price sucks but it's just money compared to the other $ invested this is nothing new.

RIP OFF !!!!!

I am interested in another one that will work. I did send you a pm about the radiator before creating this post, but never received a response. Please send the info you have on another brand.

This Griffin will do what I need and it's available, so it's the best there is to go off of at this time. No, it's not cheap, but it does perform and is made within the USA. The price sucks but it's just money compared to the other $ invested this is nothing new.

I am not trying to rip anyone off just created this incase there were others on the fence and buying in numbers usually results in a lower price for the consumer.

I am not trying to rip anyone off just created this incase there were others on the fence and buying in numbers usually results in a lower price for the consumer.

lol, i know ur not trying to rip anyone off...BUT alot of companies do because they figure our car is a " specialty" car and there for can jack up prices.. heres a link to the rad i got and used, i will recheck my ebay and see if i can find a part number or the company..it even came with new screws for the shroud and everything. i was very impressed with the quality of it, i expected some junk ebay thing for the price but am amazed how nice it is and how well it works !
actually in the link below i have a link in there that should go to the radiator..if not pm me and ille do some digging to find one for you.no need to give an arm and leg for something worth a toe. and money ! its "just" money...wish i had those issues.hopefully these hard times pass because i hate being poor.but i have learned how to save a dollar without sacrificing quality..im always deal hunting and when i find a great one, i like to let others know..and this rad was a hell of a deal.i clicked the link and couldnt find my exact one but they have some REALLY nice looking/sounding rads for half the price of a peter griffin rad
take the saved money from the rad and buy a fan for the intercooler, a nice rad and that intercooler fan will get you running ALOT cooler and free up some HP.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...994-95-thunderbird-sc&highlight=radiator+swap

Last edited:
Q: Have any of you folks considered just swapping in a full length radiator and moving to a FMIC setup?

Considering that a full length Griffin radiator is a fraction of this price, I'm surprised that moving to a FMIC+full radiator isn't more popular for those most concerned about performance/cooling (presumably if you aren't as worried about cooling you'd just stick with a stock SC rad).

Here's what I bought for a my 5.0 swapped tbird for $170
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26242-x

- Brackets were easy to fab and I installed a super thin 16" SPAL fan for ~$120 on sale).
- If the alternative is $600+, that still leaves ~$300 for all the FMIC bits.
- Only thing I could see some purists getting upset about was that I did notch the small flange on my top radiator mount around the radiator cap area to make it easier to remove. I don't care about keeping the car stock looking because racecar but other folks might object to such "permanent" modification. OF course, there are other ways to skin the cat (including using a thinner bottom rad mount or using a shorter rad cap or even just tilting the rad back when you need to open the cap.

Q: Have any of you folks considered just swapping in a full length radiator and moving to a FMIC setup?

Considering that a full length Griffin radiator is a fraction of this price, I'm surprised that moving to a FMIC+full radiator isn't more popular for those most concerned about performance/cooling (presumably if you aren't as worried about cooling you'd just stick with a stock SC rad).

Here's what I bought for a my 5.0 swapped tbird for $170
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-26242-x

- Brackets were easy to fab and I installed a super thin 16" SPAL fan for ~$120 on sale).
- If the alternative is $600+, that still leaves ~$300 for all the FMIC bits.
- Only thing I could see some purists getting upset about was that I did notch the small flange on my top radiator mount around the radiator cap area to make it easier to remove. I don't care about keeping the car stock looking because racecar but other folks might object to such "permanent" modification. OF course, there are other ways to skin the cat (including using a thinner bottom rad mount or using a shorter rad cap or even just tilting the rad back when you need to open the cap.

Where did you run the piping for the FMIC with a 27" wide radiator in between it and the SC?

I had to get one coming, so I made my order, but it will count in the 5 if others want one.

Expensive, but happy to know it will be the correct one and ready to install upon arrival. As always the SC stands for Spending Cash. SMH

Already have the FMIC and was considering doing just what you mention for a full length radiator on my auto car. I was considering a good aluminum replacement for my 5 speed and like what was posted above for a decent replacement.

Already have the FMIC and was considering doing just what you mention for a full length radiator on my auto car. I was considering a good aluminum replacement for my 5 speed and like what was posted above for a decent replacement.

Out of curiosity, what fmic did you go with?

Back