New owner of a 3.8l sc and was wondering aftermarket mods.

Jaccob

Just bought a sc with very low k 70km I'm in canada. Wondering what ecu they have in them and if you can use an sct tuner. Also other mods would be helpful. Oh and can anyone tell me the difference between the hp from the 94s and the later models because they've got a 20 hp difference!

94 95's use tighter tolerences in the supercharger due to coated rotors & a have a redesigned less restrictive air inlet into the blower. There may be some other differences that others here may know of, mine are all 89-93.

Most people will start with filter, MAF and TB, larger injectors, and a smaller supercharger pulley. Rear gears will wake things up too, and a tune. Next would be a double Inter cooler or front mount and pipes.

94 95's use tighter tolerences in the supercharger due to coated rotors & a have a redesigned less restrictive air inlet into the blower. There may be some other differences that others here may know of, mine are all 89-93.
I did some digging and found somthing on Wikipedia. Apparently the injectors got increased and the compression was changed. The supercharger changed the design and opened it up for more air. I wonder if I just change the plenum if it would increase the hp. Put a 95 plenum in if it works with the 89 to 93s

Most people will start with filter, MAF and TB, larger injectors, and a smaller supercharger pulley. Rear gears will wake things up too, and a tune. Next would be a double Inter cooler or front mount and pipes.
Before tuning the car will switching the injectors and the other mods you mention throw any codes?

I did some digging and found somthing on Wikipedia. Apparently the injectors got increased and the compression was changed. The supercharger changed the design and opened it up for more air. I wonder if I just change the plenum if it would increase the hp. Put a 95 plenum in if it works with the 89 to 93s
You can't just switch the inlet. The hole is a different shape going into the blower. Need the blower with matching plenum.

You could get a C&L MAF with the correct sampling tube for different size injectors. But I think it maxes out at 42lb injectors. A tune is always best. And the preferred tuning method is with a Quarter Horse chip. With the QH you can datalog and see what is going on in the EEC like you can with the OBD2 cars and a plug in tuner. The sweet thing with the QH is you don't have to turn the car off and wait minutes to load the tune after you change something. You can make changes live while the car is running.

You can't just switch the inlet. The hole is a different shape going into the blower. Need the blower with matching plenum.

You could get a C&L MAF with the correct sampling tube for different size injectors. But I think it maxes out at 42lb injectors. A tune is always best. And the preferred tuning method is with a Quarter Horse chip. With the QH you can datalog and see what is going on in the EEC like you can with the OBD2 cars and a plug in tuner. The sweet thing with the QH is you don't have to turn the car off and wait minutes to load the tune after you change something. You can make changes live while the car is running.
Thats wicked info I really appreciate it!

Before tuning the car will switching the injectors and the other mods you mention throw any codes
Before tuning the car will switching the injectors and the other mods you mention throw any codes?
If you get a MAF with a sample tube to match the size of the injectors like a 42# you can reuse your electronic and trick the ECU of the new added air and will match the injector. You can also do a mail tune combo with a chip and supporting mods from SCU or SCP. You will have to bolt on the parts all at the same time including the chip. I’d leave the QH tuning for more advanced mods like heads and cam changes. If the head gaskets never been changed modifying the car will likely make them blow faster than you think.

Nice info. I recently bought a '90 SC, not running, and have been slowly wringing out the wiring nightmare I was left with. Now to find which wire is pump hot in the melted pump connector and I should be good. This will help with future planned mods. Thanks.

First mod I would do before anything else would be to free up the exhaust. Everything else should be after that. No use boosting your boost and gas consumption if the engine can't breath.
Alan

Back