New Owner of a 35th Anniversary Edition Soon

Fab Bird

Hi everyone
I'm wiring the money today for my first Super Coupe!! I already have a '87 Turbo Coupe and an '97 LX which is getting worn down now and has to be replaced as a daily driver.
The Super Coupe is in great condition, there's only two minor (?) things not working: Radio and the passenger side window button (the window itself works when using the driver's side button).

The radio unit itself seems to work - the display shows everything correctly and I can scan for channels but it doesn't find any (it just scrolls through) and there's no sound. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape with me to test if there's any sound or if the whole thing is mute.

Other question: I need Daytime Running Lights here in Switzerland so I want to install a module which does the Canadian style ones (high beams with reduced output) which I think look way cooler than modern LED bars which I would never fit on such a nice looking car. In the 1989 brochure it says the car is equipped with DRL's standard but not anymore in the 1990 brochure. rockauto offers a module which they claim should fit the 1990 model, does anybody here know if there's a plug somewhere for that module?

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
The factory DRL module/relay is behind the glovebox on my Canadian cars. Just unclip the 2 taps of the door to let it fall open completely.
I suspect the connector is there on all cars & that you just need to plug the module into it & I think there is a spot for a fuse in the power
disrtibution box under the hood(behind battery). I can take a pic of the connector tonight if you like.

Does it have C.D. player? If something is wrong with it, radio (am/fm/cass) won't work either. If radio only, it is likely just bad diodes, which are inexpensive. But hard to find someone willing to look at or work on-at least here in Canada.

Congrats on being a fellow anni owner. 5 Spd or auto?

Fab Bird

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Doug!

It doesn't have a CD-Player so it might be those diodes. There is an old school Hi-Fi repair guy in our town, I'll ask him then if he can do that.

If it's not too much work for you to take a picture that would be of great help, so I can do both things as soon as the car arrives, soon I hope.

There are very few Super Coupes (I haven't seen one in at least 15 years) around in this country and 35th anniversary I only know from pictures. It's a dream car, the ride an looks are incredible! I drove 7 hours for a test drive of 20 minutes - now I'll be importing it from Germany to Switzerland. It's an automatic which is ok for me. The manual is probably even more fun to drive but there's no way I'll find one in this condition in the near future if ever. This is it, only 27'000 miles:
fullsizeoutput_6295.jpeg

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
VERY VERY NICE!!
35's in that condition are rare here, so to locate 1 there is a great find.

Did you say in 1st post that this will be your replacement daily driver?

I will take some pic(s) this weekend.

I see it has keyless & light group(cornering lamps) does it have moonroof?
Any idea where is was sold new or when it ended up in Germany?

Fab Bird

I really want it as my daily driver but it's not like it sounds. I don't have to drive that much these days as I don't have to take the car to work anymore and I live in the city so I won't be using it for going out either. So it's going to be driven once or twice a week only which I think is perfect. I have a parking space in a covered and locked garage so it won't be in the rain or snow either.

Yes, apart from the CD-Player I think it's fully loaded. Moonroof, auto-lamps/dimmer/antenna etc., monitor for fluid changes... I'll get the Marti report as soon as the payment is confirmed so I will be able to get more info.

How and when it came to Germany is not known. All I know is that it was in a German collection and has been sold to the dealer I'm buying it from now. The dealer wanted to use it as a show car but luckily never had time to do the things he wanted with it so now I'll be the one who can and will keep it 100% original. All I will add is a hidden bluetooth connection to the radio plus the mentioned DRL module.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
The module slides over a metal tab, lower left of glove box door opening.

Attachments

• 20211008_173819.jpg
    20211008_173819.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211008_173836.jpg
    20211008_173836.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211008_173741.jpg
    20211008_173741.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211008_173723.jpg
    20211008_173723.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 11

Fab Bird

Hmmm, that's what I feared, the module looks totally different from the one rockauto offers. They also have a DRL Relay Connector, maybe in combination with that it would work but I don't know if there's enough space behind the glove box as the module they have is much larger. I will have to check that when the car is here.

Or I'll see if I can find the original module, searching for E96B 14A672 AA I found this: https://doorsopen.ecrater.com/p/17723021/ford-automatic-headlight-module-e9ob
But it doesn't say OC 12 in the second line plus they call it "Automatic Headlight Module" not DRL module. But it looks exactly like yours. Do you think that's the same?

Thanks a lot for the pics, great help & highly appreciated!

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
To be honest, the only reason I thought that was the DRL module was about 10 years ago as soon as you turned the ignition to run that thing would buzz & I noticed the drl's weren't on. I replaced that from a parts car I had & the buzzing stopped & the daytime running lights worked again. Maybe I'm misleading you & I'm what showing you is something for the auto lamps or auto dim & it was effecting the DRL?

I do have the factory manuals so I will look in them for drawings or diagrams or component locations.
I'll send you what I find.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Turns out I did mislead you. The DRL module is located on upper rad support behind the left headlight.
It s a cast aluminum piece with fin's, I assume to disipate heat, since there must be a internal resister-the DRL runs at 1/2 normal high beam brightness. By locating it there it may get some cooling air passing over it lol. I've seen it there on my cars, just never knew its purpose.

Attachments

• 20211009_083828.jpg
    20211009_083828.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211009_083607.jpg
    20211009_083607.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211009_082835.jpg
    20211009_082835.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211009_082700.jpg
    20211009_082700.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211009_082532.jpg
    20211009_082532.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211009_082308.jpg
    20211009_082308.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 9

Fab Bird

Thanks man! No problem, I know where the auto lamp module is now, might come in handy one day, who knows!

The plug certainly looks like it will fit the module at rockauto! So all I have to do is check if I find a plug where it says it's located on your pics. Does the actual module in your car look like this? F03001_Front__ra_p.jpg

Fab Bird

In your manual it says "Canadian Vehicles Only", so depending on where exactly my car is from I might not even have the plug, so I'll definitely have to check before ordering it.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Yes, that is exactly what mine looks like.
I suspect the connector will be in the harness regardless of where the car was sold.
I've found lots of connectors on these cars that were options not installed or used,
but were built into a harness anyways-cornering lamps, just clipped to inside of bumper
cover, connectors for auto dim sensor & maplights on mirror tucked up inside headliner,
Parking brake switch fo non S/C cars tucked inside left kick panal, etc.

As far as Canadian cars only, I'm not sure what other countrys the T-birds/Cougars were exported to or what there lighting laws were at the time? It became manditory for Canada in 1990, but my Dec 88 produed 89 Cougar has them- a year before required? Maybe others on here may know what other countrys they were sold new in. I had read that some were sent to Mexico, but not the S/C 's as the availability & qualiity of premium fuel was limited & Ford was worried about potential engine damage/warrenty claims.

Fab Bird

That sounds promising then that the plug will be there. I think Canada was one of the first countries in the world which made DRL's mandatory, the only one before them might be Sweden but I'm not sure. But Canada had a very good way and very effective DRL's that did a much better job than what we have today. And every car was easily upgraded with it. Here in Switzerland it's mandatory since 2014 but you don't have to fit your car with them you can also just switch on the headlights all the time. But new cars must have them. I personally prefer to have the Canadian DRL's also because it's period correct so to speak.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Something that you may not be aware of is that if you want to deactivate the system. ( Have the car runiing but not have the lights on)is to apply parking brake with ignition off then start the car. As long as brake is on the lights will be off. I think later Fords ( maybe other makes too) the lights won't come on until you put it in drive for the 1st time after starting.

Fab Bird

Good to know, thanks!

Here's a pic from the inside of this beauty:
SC_inside.JPG
I'll need nice floor mats, the dealer doesn't have them and I guess the originals are extremely hard to find, if at all...

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Very nice. I see you have the seat belt system the the. U.S. sold cars use, but I guess I should've known that since it must've been sold there new.No DRL. I'll be interested to know what the Marti report shows if you don't mind sharing.

Fab Bird

So here's the Marti Report, built in March '90, delivered to Brighton Ford-Mercury in Michigan, sold in November '90.

Attachments

• 1FAPP64R9LH163540_dlxrpt.pdf
    287.2 KB · Views: 7

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Very nice, 1 of mine was also built Mar 13th VIN ending in 159403.
Another was 6 days later 167733. I've always suspected they must
have built all the anniversary editions within a 2 week period. Thanks
for posting.

DOUG H

SCCoA Member
Interesting that it wasn't sold until 8 months later.
The dealership must have been getting a little nervous
that it wouldn't. It was a expensive car & the 91's would've
already been out for months.