New Super Coupe owner and had some questions.

Brayden C

Hello, I have just recently purchased a 89' Super Coupe 5 speed and I was first wondering what you guys think the best place to find a shifter all together or parts to rebuild one. I took mine out because it had an insane amount of play in it and found that it was basically destroyed. I was also wondering what kind of mods I could do to squeak out just a little more power once its operating. Finally, I was wondering what I should look for as I try and get it running. I plan on dropping the tank and replacing the whole fuel sending unit and all fluids before I even key it up. I have been told that ones with mileage like mine (140,000mi) may have head gasket issues? I'm not really too sure of anything about it or why it was parked as the older lady I bought it from said her husband who passed parked it 15 years ago to collect but she was pretty unsure about the car. Any help here would be appreciated I'm 18, inexperienced and my dad is very knowledgeable but doesn't have much free time and I know you guys a very knowledgeable on these things so anything would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Sounds like your on the right path as far as getting it running. I would do that & verify there are no other issues with the car, before worrying about mods though. If you've have never driven 1, you may be surprised with how it preforms in stock form.
140,000 miles it may have had head gaskets done once?

Yeah mods would be more down the road but I figured I'd go ahead and ask. I've heard good things about how they drive so you'll probably be right. That's a possibility, but like I said the lady really didn't know much at all. The way she explained it is he had drove it back and forth to work with no hot-rodding so then again maybe not. Although, when I was looking through the engine bay there was no residue on the seams of the head and block so it looked good there.

As soon as you get it to run the first thing I would is check the harmonic balancer for wobble they are known to break and when they do it breaks the bolt also making for quite a headache the crankshaft position sensor is expensive

Back