Oil pan

The goal is to have it in the $2-300 range whether I can get it there will remain to be seen--will be up to what the fabricators charge. Let me emphasize this is a target price an nothing more.

No it will not be aluminum, the object has always been to make a sheet steel pan that can be more easily repaired and hopefully more forgiving to worn motor mounts. To me, girdle clearance and extra capacity were secondary objectives.

David,

You don't want to say what this one cost? Is an aluminum alternative imminent? Thanks.

List price on the aluminum pan is $799 as listed in a previous post. After fitting is complete and verified, I'm going to try to secure better pricing, but that is the going rate for a completely custom pan. This one cost more than some because:

• it is comprised of many pieces and multiple complex angles.
  • it includes a windage screen.
  • it includes a trap door baffle in the sump.
  • it includes a custom fit pickup tube (not pictured) which is required to clear the baffling.

List price on the aluminum pan is $799 as listed in a previous post. After fitting is complete and verified, I'm going to try to secure better pricing, but that is the going rate for a completely custom pan. This one cost more than some because:

• it is comprised of many pieces and multiple complex angles.
  • it includes a windage screen.
  • it includes a trap door baffle in the sump.
  • it includes a custom fit pickup tube (not pictured) which is required to clear the baffling.

Not shocked by any means. It is very nicely done. Does it represent a horsepower advantage through reduced windage and better scraping.

I'll let Dave speak to that stuff. I could have used a stock pan for my project which could be had for $40. I got the custom one done for risk mitigation. Why risk popping your build motor over a pan?

I dont know if I mentioned it in this thread but a freind of mine recently took his pro mod BBC motor and put it into his Nova. Nova has a stock front end so he had to take the groovy pan he had on it and put an off the shelf deep sump moroso. The motor which is a highcompression 15:1 high revving BBC lasted not even a day. AT high rpm's with alot of power its important to keep the oil in the pan and not on the crank. Besides losing power you can whip the oil up like butter. For your typical 5000 300 or so HP motor your fine...But to risk a high $$ motor if you dont have to?...I'm all in on this one and smart move Tom

Last edited:
This thread was linked to a newer discussion of oil pans. Figured I'd resurrect it to see if anything was still going forward with this plan?

Adam

Dead for all intents an purposes though I will give the plans I have to anyone willing to continue (few stipulations though--nothing major IMO). Hock should be able to help with files if not good with CAD.

Back