Over torquing head bolts?

superpoop

Hey guys,

Changed head gaskets on the replacement motor, it was done over 2 days as and when time allowed. Problem is on one head I followed the instructions to the letter, the other side I missed a step.

Instead of backing the bolts off and re torquing them to a lower setting, I added 90° to 80nm. What problems can this cause? There were no issues torquing the bolts down, no strange noises etc. Is it worth keeping it like this or back the bolts out, buy fresh and start again?

Neill

If the bolts are over-tightened by that much, they may be on the verge of breaking, and they may have stretched to the point where they will actually have less clamping force, so while it is all torn down, I would definitely start fresh with new gaskets and ditch the bolts for a set of studs.

If the bolts are over-tightened by that much, they may be on the verge of breaking, and they may have stretched to the point where they will actually have less clamping force, so while it is all torn down, I would definitely start fresh with new gaskets and ditch the bolts for a set of studs.

i 100% agree. arp studs for sure.

Back