Rebuilding 94 SC engine for my 92 SC

Kevin92

Rebuilding 94 SC engine for my 92 SC
Hey I need to know what are the differences between the 92 Sc engine and the 94 Sc engine. Im keep it stock so that way it will be easier to make it work. I ordered a 92 timing cover and oil pan, I noticed there was a sensor on the bottom of the 94 block is tIMG_20190417_172753.jpghat the oil sensor? If so can I just take it out and put a bolt in its place right? The oil sensor on my 92 is on the oil pan. And also the 92 doesnt have egr and the 94 does, is there a easy way to work around that?MmsPicture_20190416120138.jpegMmsPicture_20190416115955.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like your knock sensor. You’re all over the crank sensor trigger ring deal. With the 94 you gain floating piston pins with the little retainer deals in the piston instead of the heat up conn rod and press on standard pistons. Also stronger connnecting rods as well as a windage tray. That’s all I remember off hand. I’m sure someone else will chime in. Good luck with your build!

If you use your 92 exhaust manifolds and then just plug the port in the blower inlet plenum that will solve the EGR connection.

Oh, and be sure to fully scrape and brake clean off all the paint on any gasket surfaces or they'll likely leak everywhere. Bare metal only.

Thanks for the replies everone, it makes me feel welcomed here. What is the crank sensor trigger ring deal? The crank sensor bolts onto the timing cover. Ill make sure the engine will be cleaned up for the gaskets and seals. Heres some pics of my car, I know its not as nice as alot of peoples cars on here but20190429_165331.jpg I still enjoy driving it around. 20190429_165213.jpg20190429_165201.jpg20190429_165157.jpg20190429_165358.jpg

Last edited:
I really need help to find the best pistons for a 94 block, with the floating piston pin. I just want to keep my SC stock on my 92 SC but use the 94 supercharger. I can only find the sealed power pistons(H675CP) but it doesn't say if it has floating pins or not. I got the block hydrofluxed, honed and heads are shaved. I just need to get the block shaved so I can use MLS felpro gaskets. Can someone help me find the pistons I need? Thank you.

Does it look safe to reuse my old pistons? This one looks the worst. Ill get it cleaned up better and send more pics later.MmsPicture_20190709155609 (1).jpeg

You already have had the machine work done to the block so now is not the time to cheap out on such an important piece. Just get new pistons, it looks like a chunk is missing out of that one anyway. You can get a set of hypereutectics from Rock Auto for less that 200 USD or get something better from a place like Super Coupes Unlimited. You will likely need to re-balance the rotating assembly with the piston replacements as well. Unless you go premium aftermarket you probably won't get stock replacement pistons with full floating pins so don't get hung up on that because they may not fit your connecting rods if you do find them. Press fit piston pins will suit you just fine.

All replacement pistons come with the option for locks. Whether or not you use them is determined by the rods, and 94 rods are bushed requiring locks. If you want stock original used pistons in good condition I have a set ready to go for $100 shipped. Rock auto is the cheapest place to find a replacement piston new as well as the correct ductile iron rings. Any non OE replacement piston is going to require either overboring the block or rebalancing the crank or both. As posted above, there is no cheap way out other than to use an OE or OE replacement.

Im going to replace the piston with the one from XR7 dave. All my other ones are good, thank you guys for helping me out.

Well it turns out that they no longer make rings for 94/95 SC pistons anymore. So I had to take my block to a machine shop and had them bore it and put forged pistons and do all the machine for my block. I dont plan on changing cams or valves but my car already has a performance tune and it seems to run normal with it. It will be around 3 to 4 months before everything is done. I also will get my AOD rebuilt too while engines are swapped. So my plans are: using 94 blower, port exhaust and intake manifold's, port heads, rebuild AOD with 4R70W gears and 2" OD band etc, use 04 GT Mustang rack with low miles. Im going to get the valves and heads checked at the machine shop soon. I plan on getting the exhaust manifolds ported, would it help any if I get the heads(not the bowl combustion area) and intake manifold ported as well? This is for a 92 SC.

Well my new engine is coming along nicely it seems. I hope everything turns out the way I want it to once its done. I have a question do they make new oil coolers for SC's? Mine isn't too bad but a new one would be nice.IMG_20210217_163600.jpgIMG_20210214_123350.jpg
IMG_20210217_163251.jpg
IMG_20210214_135734.jpg
IMG_20210214_135757.jpg
There also seems to be a crack in the block where it bolts to the transmission.

Kevin,

Since the early model crank position sensor mounts to the engine block, you don't need to change the timing cover. The 94-95 cover will work on all years.

David

Well I already purchased a early model one. I will have a new gasket put on the oil cooler so it wont leak. Next week alot more work will be done on it.

It's almost done, still waiting on the supercharger from MP. Its using the dayco balancer.

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_141620.jpg
    IMG_20210304_141620.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 22
Hey I noticed Supercoupe Performance sells a 8 rib water pump. Is it better then the ones sold on rockauto?

Back