Rebuilding Thermostat Housings and Replacement Flanges

jb351

SCCoA Member
I've had a few inquiries about repairing leaking thermostat housings and have the time to fit in some repairs for anybody who is interested. I will machine and weld on a replacement 3/8" thick steel flange to your existing thermostat housing as well as sandblast it repaint it and send it back to you with a new gasket. If requested I can remove the pipes from the factory flange and weld them directly to a new flange. An extra cost will be involved for that as it would take more time.

I do not have any cores on hand right now so you would have to ship me a housing to refurbish. Alternatively, if you are able to weld and machine or have access to a welder/machine metal flat I will sell you just a flange. Note: If purchasing just a flange you will need to have the surface machined flat again after you have it welded on.

All prices are in USD

Refurbish Housing: $135.00 + shipping

Replacement Flange: $50.00 + shipping

If you're interested just send me a PM.

I'll take 2. I have to dig through the storage unit this weekend to find some old ones to send to you, but let me know the shipping address and I'll get them sent to you. Thanks.

I'll take 2. I have to dig through the storage unit this weekend to find some old ones to send to you, but let me know the shipping address and I'll get them sent to you. Thanks.

Thanks,

I just sent you my address via PM.

I have 2 cores available. If your interested make me an offer for them

Thanks for your offer. I sent you a PM about them.

I am interested. When I get my spare engine back from the Shop I will pull my housing.
:)

Cool. I hope to get some cores in the near future so I can offer an exchange/refundable core charge to speed things up a bit.

At the moment the turnaround time on it will be around a week from the time a core arrives at my door.

I am sorry as I was not thinking. I started with just a block so I only have one thermostat housing and it's on the car. :(

I will need to look elsewhere for a core.

I am sorry as I was not thinking. I started with just a block so I only have one thermostat housing and it's on the car. :(

I will need to look elsewhere for a core.

No problem. I understand. I am working on trying to get some cores.

Wow, what a coincidence. Just saw the condition of my thermostat housing this morning... previous owner had gooped it up bigtime to stop the leak:
View attachment 70236

In the picture, you might see that there is a sizeable gap on the ear where the smaller pipe/bleed screw/temp sender goes. Do you think you would be able to accommodate that?

Attachments

• tstat_housing.jpeg
    tstat_housing.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 337
Wow, what a coincidence. Just saw the condition of my thermostat housing this morning... previous owner had gooped it up bigtime to stop the leak:

In the picture, you might see that there is a sizeable gap on the ear where the smaller pipe/bleed screw/temp sender goes.

With that, the rust on the outlet & a twisted standoff, I'd say it's time to retire that housing ;)

I just scored one on ebay. When I get it I will send it to you. It will look sweet on my new engine...

Sounds good.

In the picture, you might see that there is a sizeable gap on the ear where the smaller pipe/bleed screw/temp sender goes. Do you think you would be able to accommodate that?

No problem, I can fix the flange but I would be wondering about the condition of the rest of it once the rust and paint is stripped off. There could be some pin holes or heavy pitting due to the rust. It's in rough shape with the rust and twisted pipe and such but I think I can probably save it.

Made up a batch of flanges this week. Thanks to some great people on here I have some cores on the way too so I will be able to do an exchange/refundable core charge thing to speed things up a bit very soon.

I also started development on an adapter that will work with the cheap aftermarket thermostat housings that currently don't work with SC's. It would be nice to have another option than just the old housings. I should have a CAD model done by the end of the weekend.

Made up a batch of flanges this week. Thanks to some great people on here I have some cores on the way too so I will be able to do an exchange/refundable core charge thing to speed things up a bit very soon.

I also started development on an adapter that will work with the cheap aftermarket thermostat housings that currently don't work with SC's. It would be nice to have another option than just the old housings. I should have a CAD model done by the end of the weekend.
My thermostat housing has some pit damage but the flange looks ok, so rebuilding mine would be a waste. That will be cool to see how those aftermarket ones look after you make them work for the SC. Keep up the good work!

My housing came in and it looks in good shape. Please PM me the address. I assume the housing rebuild includes a new flange?

I was able to spend a few minutes this past weekend finishing the CAD model for a prototype adapter that will work with the generic aftermarket thermostat housings and then cut it out on the mill yesterday. I still have some development and machine work to do for the the fittings and bleeder but the housing itself is essentially done. That stuff will wait until the next time I order fittings/metal. It is essentially a 6061 aluminum sandwich with a gasket on both sides that would go between the intake manifold and the generic housing. It is currently a bit thicker than it probably needs to be at 1" thick but I can probably cut it down to around 0.700-0.750" or maybe even a bit less. The sealing surfaces were not machined yet as I am still working on them. A curious thing about the generic 3.8 SC housing that I bought from Rock Auto is that the flange on it is the same as the SC flange but mounted upside down on it. It is almost as if the engineer that copied it accidentally mirrored it in CAD before they had the tooling made for it and they got stuck with having to use them.

Wondering if you have any complete thermostat housings ready to ship out?

I thought I had a spare I could send as a core, but I can't find it.

Back