Remind me....does the B&M Ripper shifter require lube?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I bought a used ripper shifter for the 35th and sourced a new rubber boot and clamp. It's ready to install, but I can't remember if I have to apply some lube on the underside of the shifter. It's been quite a few years since my last ripper install.

Thanks for the info!

I bought a used ripper shifter for the 35th and sourced a new rubber boot and clamp. It's ready to install, but I can't remember if I have to apply some lube on the underside of the shifter. It's been quite a few years since my last ripper install.

Thanks for the info!
A small dab of a good synthetic grease on the ball of the shifter and socket of the transmission should be sufficient.

I got lucky in 2018 when I bought mine the transmission was FUBAR from the previous owner and I replaced the transmission cause it was cheaper and quicker to do that then find someone to rebuild mine. well the trans I got came with a b&M ripper!!!! rarely do I get lucky but I did one that one

A small dab of a good synthetic grease on the ball of the shifter and socket of the transmission should be sufficient.
Señor! How's it going? Long time!

Thanks for the input, gents. I tried for years (literally) to get a ripper shifter for this 35th, and I finally landed one about a year ago. I'm just now getting around to installing it. I was lucky enough to buy one new from SC Performance several years back. I think that one went on the 94 Teal car. I should probably start shopping around for a shifter for the "next" car :).

For this 35th, I had done a refresh on the stock shifter, so it wasn't that bad. After everything was removed, I did the usual cleaning of the mating surfaces and the threads in the transmission and mounting bolts. I used some good quality synthetic grease that I had left over from some work on the Rover, and in it went. I bought a Tri-Ax shifter handle and good Allen-head stainless bolts, and all went in just lovely. I even installed that extra layer of sound or heat insulation that I've never seen in another 5-speed car. I guess people ditch it.

I just love the "click click" sound and feel of this shifter.

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

Back