Removing moonroof sliding insert (or sunshade)

Rick_Leuce

Hey,
I am in the process of changing my interior color and was wondering what steps are involved if I want to remove the moonroof sliding insert. My headliner and shell are completely removed from the car but I can’t figure out how to remove the slider so I can replace it.

Do I have to remove the glass in order to remove the insert?

I will be going to pull the moonroof sliding insert from a parts car. Do I need to power the moonroof in order to get to the point I can get the insert out (it is in the closed position and I can remove the headliner if necessary).

Rick , I just pulled out one of my spare moon roof track/motor setups and took a look at it , from what I see, the glass has to be moved to the rear position as the slider has to come forward to its closed position to start the process, to get the slider to move forward you seem to have to flex the center of the slider down at the front to get the catch part under and in front the glass , the catch is what moves the slider back with the glass when activated.. once you have that catch area pulled in front of the front of the glass , the slider now can be slid forward then eventually up and out the moon roof port in the sheet metal of the roof, what will happen is the front section of the slider can be lifted up ,then once it is at a bit of an angle to the roof line then one of the back sliders corners can be moved forward to let it out of its track, its a pretty small metal channel type clip , so the angle does not have to be that much to pop it off the track at that point move the slider off the track and take the slider out the top .
** Note ** at the very beginning, right after you move the glass back to start the process you will have to take a look at the top side mounting tracks on either side and what they are holding and what will be in the way of the slider when bringing it forward and up .
My moon roof units here are partially taken apart so not sure what is there and everything I have just said is based on what I see here, I was able to get the slider out easily doing what I just said , but you will have to observe the top track parts with the many screws holding it all down to figure out what needs to be removed without dropping the whole moon roof rack ... but in the long run you may want to remove it anyway to keep as back up parts .
Either way ,I hope this made some sense , good luck with it .
Dave.

I will be going to pull the moonroof sliding insert from a parts car. Do I need to power the moonroof in order to get to the point I can get the insert out (it is in the closed position and I can remove the headliner if necessary).

Hey,
I am in the process of changing my interior color and was wondering what steps are involved if I want to remove the moonroof sliding insert. My headliner and shell are completely removed from the car but I can’t figure out how to remove the slider so I can replace it.

Do I have to remove the glass in order to remove the insert?

The instructions are actually in the Ford Maintenance Manual. For me, popping the glass up, not back, gives a little wiggle room. I've done it a few times, never that fun. You basically slide it back then 'twist it' off the tracks and turn it 90 degrees, then slide it out down through the cab. Putting it back is the trick, but you basically reverse the process.

What are the current / new colors?

The instructions are actually in the Ford Maintenance Manual. For me, popping the glass up, not back, gives a little wiggle room. I've done it a few times, never that fun. You basically slide it back then 'twist it' off the tracks and turn it 90 degrees, then slide it out down through the cab. Putting it back is the trick, but you basically reverse the process.

What are the current / new colors?

My 1991 SC currently has a Titanium Leather interior, I am converting it to black leather. I prefer the moonroof inserts with the early style vent (1989 through at least 1991). My mechanic has a 1990 with moonroof. The interior is blue, but I was considering spray-painting the insert black. I don’t want to spray-paint any of my titanium interior pieces in case I want to convert the car back to original.

I’ll consider saving the whole moonroof assembly if it’s not that much more trouble. Not sure if I’ll be able to power it with more than a portable jumper.

Last edited:
This is an older thread, but since I have my headliner out to be recovered, I figured it's finally time to fix my sliding panel as well.

Years ago, I had a new seal installed, and the guy that did it didn't install the plastic pieces that space up the front end of the sunshade and 1 is missing. Would anyone have a spare they would be willing to sell? It looks like this. It's a 1989 SC.

clip.jpg

Back