replacing cats

93 Mark VIII

anyone have a source for replacment cats. Looks like these are not universal cats, the inlet is not horizontal like the outlet. Am I missing something, anyone have some tips?

Thanks,
Brian

blackbird94

when i had my exhaust done on my 94 i had the old cats removed. the shop made some new downtubes and ran them back to a single 2 in 1 out high flow cat mfg by carsound. The new cat sits right about where my old resonator used to be. The cat ran around $100.

93 Mark VIII

thanks

good ideas! I think I am going to go with a single dual inlet/single outlet cat as long as it won't impact emissions. You guys remember what diameter inlet/outlet the exhaust is so I can get ordering?

Thanks again!
Brian

blackbird94

I did the whole exhaust at once. 2and1/4in downtubes to the single high flow cat. Out of the cat with a 3in pipe that splits off into two 2and1/4in pipes and into two free flow mufflers. I have had the setup on for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it. Sounds good. Not splatty and no drone.

SuperCoupe

Hey Blackbird94....I just did my whole exhaust too....I was fortunate enough to have a fellow SCer GIVE me a complete, slightly used SCP/Bill Hull system. 2-1/4" downtubes, the SCP high flow cats, to the 2 into 1 Magnaflow resonator, 3" center, high flow Y, back to a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos, but I replaced the mufflers with a pair of brand new Borlas. It sounds pretty good, but it sure is a lot different than the old stock system! It sounds good, and deep, but as everyone knows, a six will never sound as good as an 8. My next mod on the exhaust is to have the extra pair of manifolds I have hogged out, and ported by TBird88. I've been told that the Borla's will sound better as they age, but in the high rpm's now I compare the sound to a Honda Gold Wing on steroids! Maybe it's not that strange, but just takes some getting used to! Sounds GREAT at idle, and I do have a bit of drone, but it's not as bad as I've heard some guys say the drone gets in their cars!
-Jeff