Seat Track Mod and issues........

ecyrbh

I seem to remember, somewhere, about a topic on a mod for the seat tracks that will give an extra couple of inches of travel.I used the search feature and didn't see anything.Has anyone seen or heard of this?.......Also,has anybody taken their seat motors apart to fix a slow movment issue.My drivers side wont move while sitting unless you get off of it.Passenger side wont move at all.My parts cars' drivers side wont move at all fore and aft.All in does is click.Every other position works fine on both the parts car and my Daily Driver.

That Mod is exactly what I saw before.........Thanks KMT.......Anyone have any ideas on my other issue........I'm going to try to figure it out this weekend on a spare seat track and see if I can get things moving properly

Ford issued a TSB for 'slow movement', that explained how to clean and lube the tracks.

When I got my SC, the seats took forever to move at all. I sprayed the tracks with WD-40 to clean them off (running them completely forward/back several times), then coated them with white silicone spray and they've worked like new since.

It doesn't hurt to take a look (w/flashlite, etc.) underneath each seat for coins, etc. that may be lodged in the tracks...blow out all the dust bunnies, etc. and make sure nothing is hanging up. If you're using seat covers, check that none of the attaching cords/strings whatever are snagged.

If things are a real mess, take the seats out and do a thorough job that will be more work but perhaps better in the long run.

Last edited:
And the seat are very easy to remove, but they are heavy.....:rolleyes:

Besides, you might find enough coin to get a soda....:p

Well did the mod to the seat track,Cleaned and lubed everything up on both seats and now everythig works like it should even while seated.I found .57 cents,a couple of very stale french fries,a ball point pen,and a wiring pigtail under the drivers seat that is not connected to anything.Its a gray connector with 2 wires..any ideas??????????????

91....................Seat belt chime and warning lights all work..in fact everything works......I'm puzzled...

On my 92 one connector is for the power seat track and the other for the Seat Switch associated with the passive restraint seat belts.

If you have the keyless entry keypad on the door, it is most likely for the seat occupied switch that controls when the doors lock automatically when you shift from park.

Does it have a keypad? I have the harness in my 91, but have yet to install a seat occupied sensor that mounts in the seat springs. I may have to do that this week.

All of the SC's that I've seen (89, 90, 91, 93 and base thunderbirds too, I think) have this extra connector and on the 93 I believe it is used for the seat switch mentioned earlier.

Another "extra" plug that I know of is for the remote-switched locking gas door - not found on the early SC's. Just another one of those things that Ford was planning on adding in the then-future, I guess.

I actually swapped all the parts from a 93 locking gas door to my 89 with no special modifications - all wires were present as were all mounting holes, etc. Ever wonder what the black plug next to your trunk open button (in the glovebox) is for? :D

Ahhhhhhhhh-------OK..Cool I thought i might have missed a connector or something......Thanks for clearing things up guys.....

I have it on my 92 5.0 bird, so I know it works on at least that one. I may try to get it set up and test it today.

Concerning the remote fuel door release....that WAS an option for the 89 model year but I have never seen it actually included in any cars. It was part of the Luxury Group options if memory serves. I bought my 89 in Nov. 89 and the window sticker showed it as an Option Delete....I always thought it was because the parts weren't ready to go when the cars were introduced. I did get the parts to later install the option and the wiring harness & connector were there...just no solenoid or switch installed and the fuel door was not the spring out kind required for this option.

Ok here is an update. The procedure for programming in the autolock feature is listed in the owners manual for an 89 Thunderbird. I just tested the theory on my 91 SC and it indeed does work. Now, as far as the seat occupied switch, it may also found in Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Cars up to at least 1996. You would have to check to make sure the plug matches the Thunderbird plug. It is easiest to remove the seat cover to install the switch. What happens is you have to follow a procedure with the keyless entry pad(it is listed in the owners manual) and then your doors will lock automatically when you shift from park. I do not know if it works on manual transmission cars, but it may be worth checking into.

Back