Starts then dies, where to begin...

joenintiesc

1994. I bought the car in 2014, it has QH installed and tuned for all the mods (60# injectors, etc). Has wide-band O2 sensors. I’ve never messed with the tuning, never even hooked up a laptop.

It’s always started, though I don’t drive it very often at all, so I keep a battery tender connected. I tried to start today, just got a click. I connected a battery charger and it showed 51%, so I left it charging and a hour later it was still at 51%. I disconnect battery terminals and cleaned everything, reconnected. It now would crank, but not start, like it was flooded. Let it sit for a bit, now it starts right up, I get A/F reading on gauge, but it immediately dies.

I tried to scan codes with scanner connected to port in engine bay, but it says vehicle not responding. After engine dies upon startup, I see the check engine and check gauge lites on dash.

Does any of this fit with symptoms of dead battery in the QH unit? I know that was an issue for some units. Or maybe they just die and need to be replaced. Not sure where else to begin...

If I remeber correctly when my QH failed accessory on also caused the fan to run on high. I believe that's the tell tale sign its a dead battery.

-Tim

If I remeber correctly when my QH failed accessory on also caused the fan to run on high. I believe that's the tell tale sign its a dead battery.

-Tim

Hmmm, yeah I think the fan was running on high. Can I replace the battery myself, or do I have to send it in somewhere? Thanks for the quick reply!

Hmmm, yeah I think the fan was running on high. Can I replace the battery myself, or do I have to send it in somewhere? Thanks for the quick reply!

Likely it's a unit with the battery soldered onto the board. If you reach out to moates they will replace it for free on an exchange.

Also the other piece will be finding out who has the orginal tune file for your car. Then getting them to load it etc.

-Tim

Back