Tires

1qwik99

Looking for the widest tires I can put on the 95 SC without having to do any surgery or any rubbing. I currently have 225-60-16 stock Goodyear GT's.

Thoughts?

I guess I should have been clearer. I want to keep the stock rims. Just want a wider tire. Thanks

Wide does not equal to good. Where do you live and where do you drive? Usually Eagle F1 Asymm 6 would be recommendation.

If you want get it done only for summer days, Michelin Pilot Sport would work.

Wide does not equal to good. Where do you live and where do you drive? Usually Eagle F1 Asymm 6 would be recommendation.

If you want get it done only for summer days, Michelin Pilot Sport would work.
So Cal. Don't drive a lot. Car only has 71K original on her. She gets babied. I'm looking at a BF Goodrich or Goodyear RS.

As they say... it never rains in So Cal eh? :)

You can get BF Goodrich's, I don't hear a lot from them since they make more racing tires than anything, but they usually tend to be OK for the cash.

I wouldn't go with bare rubberish tires to road even with how this car hugs the ground, it's still a rear wheel driven car. But if that's your thing, I'd guess it would work if you're just doing pure asphalt. By the time you get the car to rain or mud, etc... any of the Super Sport Michelin, RS, etc... will start performing worse than the Asymm. We got Aysmm on ours and they're really impressive tires, they even compare to the ones with almost drag-level rubber.

As they say... it never rains in So Cal eh? :)

You can get BF Goodrich's, I don't hear a lot from them since they make more racing tires than anything, but they usually tend to be OK for the cash.

I wouldn't go with bare rubberish tires to road even with how this car hugs the ground, it's still a rear wheel driven car. But if that's your thing, I'd guess it would work if you're just doing pure asphalt. By the time you get the car to rain or mud, etc... any of the Super Sport Michelin, RS, etc... will start performing worse than the Asymm. We got Aysmm on ours and they're really impressive tires, they even compare to the ones with almost drag-level rubber.
I avoid driving in the rain whenever I can. I'm retired now so not much driving anyway. March is a rainy month here in So Cal.

Seconded, we got a car with a Torsen system and I hate driving in actual amount of rain. Especially with tires not worth talking about, you instantly lose braking distance and start slipping...

and yeah I know, it does rain a bit in So Cal. Was kind of trying to make a pun. Summer is coming so I take it these cars will be up and go more.

It's like that in most places. Technically, the SC is truly a summer car anyway. Nobody wants to take a leaf blower, open the M90 and clean whatever goes in there lol.

Speaking of, I wish Ford released more birds with parking sensors. Rover had some vehicles in this segment with them, IDK how many birds were built and sent out with parking sensors on the rear, but it's probably nothing too much worth speaking.

The other day I've seen a Rover 216 with 6 parking sensors. If they did do such bird I'd have not only seriously considered buying it, but also been here all day lol. The viewing angles, the small rims, etc... I do love me some SC.

After driving my 2019 Escape so much lately, it's weird not having a back up camera when I take the Bird out. The Bird is much more comfortable to drive than any of my other cars though. It's actually my wife's car. ;)

255/50R16 fit and give it a meaty look. You can also get drag radials in this size if you need traction and only drive on dry pavement.

Michelin PSS was a really good summer tire... close to drag radials, again. However, there will always be roads that are re-build, etc, and you'll lose so much traction it wouldn't even be cheeky. As such, I'd never drive with drag radials to street.

The way the asymmetrical is built, not only stands tall against rain, but also rocks hard on hot, dry road. Eagle F1's really hit the ball with that one. The 5's we got on our Audi are not just a massive step up from the older Conti's, but also to this day stands against some way more hardcore tires...

and the 6's are even better. Sure, they're costy... but they're some really good tires as an all rounder for this kind of particular use case.

Back