Valve cover gasket leaks ... is there any hope?

S_Mazza

Hi all. I am just posting out of mild frustration with the fact that my passenger side valve cover has been dripping oil on the exhaust manifold. I installed these less than 3 years ago.

So, I checked the bolts before tearing into it. Not tight. Not even snug. What's the deal ... why do these things loosen up like that? I will snug them up and see if it stops the leak for now.

I believe Ford had a lot of good ideas when they built these cars ... but I am starting to think that only 5 bolts per valve cover was not one of them!

Next time you change the gaskets, try using a little Loctite on the bolts.

the 89-93 are susceptible to leaking thats why henry redesigned them for 94+

I find if u remove the metal squish bands and watch your torque u shudnt have any issues with them

just be gentle it doesnt take much to split it without the bands in place

Does that prevent the bolts from loosening up over time?

Yes..enough RTV usually gets on the bolt threads to keep them from coming loose. I use the Permatex stuff that's in a blue tube, smells real strong and is clear. Never get any leaks, but I do have to pry on the edge of the cover a little to break the seal when removing them. Not really an issue unless you take the covers off a lot.

David

Yes..enough RTV usually gets on the bolt threads to keep them from coming loose. I use the Permatex stuff that's in a blue tube, smells real strong and is clear. Never get any leaks, but I do have to pry on the edge of the cover a little to break the seal when removing them. Not really an issue unless you take the covers off a lot.

David

The stuff for windshields?

Back